Macbook Pro will not install OS after Clean Disc

I am planning on giving my Macbook Pro 2016 to a family member and I wanted to do a clean reboot of the computer. I looked at the instructions and saw that I can start the computer and use command + R to start in the Mac OS Utilities mode. I cleared my drive, and then went to reinstall MacOS Sierra and it gave me an error message, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

I have tried multiple attempts at reinstalling the OS and repairing the drive but nothing will work.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:43 AM

MacOS is not copy protected.

But nor is it handed out to anyone with their hand out. Upgraded versions are generally tagged with your Apple-ID, and can only be upgraded using the same Apple-ID.

The exception, and the one you need, is this one:

The original "shipped-in-the-box" version can be downloaded and installed by using a special case of Internet Recovery

On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 6:43 AM in response to gtbrant

MacOS is not copy protected.

But nor is it handed out to anyone with their hand out. Upgraded versions are generally tagged with your Apple-ID, and can only be upgraded using the same Apple-ID.

The exception, and the one you need, is this one:

The original "shipped-in-the-box" version can be downloaded and installed by using a special case of Internet Recovery

On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2023 8:53 PM in response to gtbrant

gtbrant Said:

"I have tried multiple attempts at reinstalling the OS and repairing the drive but nothing will work. "

-------

Getting a Successful Install:

A. Use a USB Bootable Installer:

1. Use: USB Flash Drive of 16GB
  2. Insert: the USB Flash Drive
  3. Open: Terminal
  4. Use: this Code in Terminal

B. Use Ethernet:

Try connecting your computer using Ethernet.

Aug 30, 2023 11:03 PM in response to gtbrant

gtbrant Said:

"Macbook Pro will not install OS after Clean Disc"

-------

Delete All Volumes:

Q1. "My new MacBook Air says the my computer is already running the most current version when I try to download the OS from the AppStore."

A1. You need to get an empty drive. Delete every single volume seen in the far-right side in Disk Utility. Proceed form there with the install.

-----

Creating a USB Bootable Installer:

Q2. "Do I have to download from an apple computer or can I use my PC to set up the boot drive?"

A2. You need to create a USB Bootable Installer from an Apple Computer; it is not possible to create on using a PC. Ask someone else, if you may use their computer to create one. It'd have to be 32GB or less. The link to use: Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2023 8:37 AM in response to gtbrant

MacOS has interlocks against installing Older version if ANY remnants of Newer version remains on the drive.

You said you had 'cleared' the drive. Did you literally follow the instruction in this article, whcih asks you to ERASE the drive, among other things?

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

[2016 is an Intel model Without T2 chip.]

Aug 30, 2023 10:43 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi, thank you for your assistance.

I am having issues downloading an older version of Sierra or Monterey. My new MacBook Air says the my computer is already running the most current version when I try to download the OS from the AppStore. If I try to use the weblink, it also doesn’t seem to load.

Do I have to download from an apple computer or can I use my PC to set up the boot drive?

Macbook Pro will not install OS after Clean Disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.