Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why do I have to have a card on file to just download free apps

I don’t have any money at the moment so I just wanna download free apps and I can’t

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 2:11 AM

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also -> Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

I don’t have any money at the moment

Then you need to wait until you have money.

See also the following Apple articles:

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card.

If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you want to use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

Add money to your Apple Account balance

Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

If you have followed all the steps and instructions and if you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 2:11 AM in response to Lizzard64

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also -> Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

I don’t have any money at the moment

Then you need to wait until you have money.

See also the following Apple articles:

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card.

If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you want to use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

Add money to your Apple Account balance

Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

If you have followed all the steps and instructions and if you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

Why do I have to have a card on file to just download free apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.