iPad Pro 12.9" charging port failing

The charging port on my iPad failed 20 months into me owning it, I had Apple Care so Apple replaced it for me with a new device.

I have had the new device now for 4 months and it is also now having the same issue. I will be taking it back to Apple again as the new device came with the standard 1 year warranty.

A work around for the iPad not charging if it's out of warranty is to use the Magic Keyboard for iPad. It has a charging port on the left side and it will charge your iPad. For some reason, that USB C connector is working for me as it should. It's not a cheap fix, new $349, but it's tons cheaper than replacing the iPad.

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 9:45 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2024 5:37 AM in response to czechpirate

I've read other posts about this same issue with the 12.9 ipad pro and we have the same problem with the 5th generation....3 times so far with the USB-C ports so there is something wrong with the quality in my opinion since the Lightning port on an older 9.7 handled by young kids still works and never had an issue. Its a repeat issue but some want to blame the user..Sorry but its a quality issue with the new ports

Jun 14, 2024 1:36 PM in response to davo912

I totally agree. It's a quality issue. I've got a 2020 iPad Pro and the USB-C port is not working correctly on it and it's been that way for several months. I've had other iPads and never had this issue before. I'm the only one living in my house. No one has touched it except for me. My iPad was never dropped. I have it in a really high quality case in case it ever did drop (God forbid), and one day the port malfunctioned. I sent it in to Apple and they erased everything on my iPad and sent it back to me stating the port is hardware damaged and unable to be repaired. The only option is a new iPad. Even though it will usually still charge, it will no longer connect to my computer. One of the pins must be gone I'm thinking.

Now onto my next issue. Since Apple wiped out my iPad and it looks like they even removed the operating system iOS, when I turn this iPad on it comes up with a graphic that looks like a USB-C plug instructing me to plug it into a computer to restore it. That won't work. The broken port no longer allows me to plug it into a computer and get service. It would seem this iPad is toast now. At least it was working before I sent it to Apple. Now it's not working at all.

Can the iPad be connected to a computer via the Magic Keyboard? If it can then I would consider investing in a keyboard. I just don't know if the keyboard does anything more than charge the iPad. Can someone please let me know?

Thanks kindly.

Aug 31, 2023 10:03 AM in response to czechpirate

Indeed, an iPad Magic Keyboard for iPad is a viable alternative method to charge a compatible model iPad via the Keyboard's USB-C charging port and the iPad's Smart Connector.

If you are experiencing a repeat problem, you may need to consider the possibility that either the charging cable that you are using is mechanically defective, or potentially your handling of the connection process is perhaps not as gentle as it might be.

Are you using an Apple OEM charging/data cable, or third-party USB-C cables? Cables and connectors can vary dramatically in their quality.

iPad Pro 12.9" charging port failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.