I'm confused about iCloud Photos!

When I take photos with my iPhone, they don't automatically transfer to my iPad mini. They used to but they no longer do for some reason and I suspect it may have to do with the fact that I got a new iPhone last year (iPhone 13). I looked into it and was told to click on "sync this iPad". When I do, I get a message that says "Photos synced from Finder will be removed". Then it says "Syncing photos via Finder is not supported when iCloud Photos is turned on" and it's followed by "10,323 photo will be removed"! I'm not sure what to do! What 10,323 photos? Sorry, I'm just totally lost and I don't want to delete photos I want to keep!!

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 5:16 PM

Hello,

Basically what's going on with this notification is that you cannot sync your photos with two different methods. Syncing with Finder is sort of like a manual sync. Copies of your photos from a Mac have synced to your iPad.

Those copes will be deleted from your iPad with the assumption you would start syncing them from the Mac using iCloud Photos.

Your next step will depend on whether or not you still have the Mac that you synced your iPad with and if the Mac still has those 10,323 photos on it.

If you do and it does, you just need to enable the sync on all your devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mac). You may end up with some duplicates of your media but all three devices will be moving your media from the System Photo Library to your iCloud Photo Library.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you do not have the Mac or if the Mac no longer has those photos, you will want to start by importing the photos from your iPad to a Mac or PC before enabling iCloud Photos sync for the iPad.

Import to your Mac

Import to your Windows PC

Once imported you can then safely enable the sync for all of your devices without any media being deleted.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 5:16 PM in response to totalwayne

Hello,

Basically what's going on with this notification is that you cannot sync your photos with two different methods. Syncing with Finder is sort of like a manual sync. Copies of your photos from a Mac have synced to your iPad.

Those copes will be deleted from your iPad with the assumption you would start syncing them from the Mac using iCloud Photos.

Your next step will depend on whether or not you still have the Mac that you synced your iPad with and if the Mac still has those 10,323 photos on it.

If you do and it does, you just need to enable the sync on all your devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mac). You may end up with some duplicates of your media but all three devices will be moving your media from the System Photo Library to your iCloud Photo Library.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you do not have the Mac or if the Mac no longer has those photos, you will want to start by importing the photos from your iPad to a Mac or PC before enabling iCloud Photos sync for the iPad.

Import to your Mac

Import to your Windows PC

Once imported you can then safely enable the sync for all of your devices without any media being deleted.

I hope this helps.

I'm confused about iCloud Photos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.