How do I remove Google Voice from my mac? (macOS Ventura)

Hi all.

So I clicked a logo notification in the browser while using Google Voice that instantly installed what looked like the Google Voice app on my Macbook Pro. The app shows up with all the other apps via Launch Pad, but not in the applications folder.

From Spotlight search, it only shows up as an app and there are no other trace files that I can find. I can't drag it to the bin or find it physically anywhere but in that Launch Pad view among the other apps.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to delete this?

All searches have been promoting third party uninstall software, which I am cautious of.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 7:12 PM

[SOLVED]

The application was a browser application and not a mac application so it was stored in the user/applications folder

And not the computer's root folder,

From the first image, I went to Chrome Apps, then selected the .app and a hidden icon file and option+command+deleted them both.

So it's now completely removed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 7:12 PM in response to n1cholle

[SOLVED]

The application was a browser application and not a mac application so it was stored in the user/applications folder

And not the computer's root folder,

From the first image, I went to Chrome Apps, then selected the .app and a hidden icon file and option+command+deleted them both.

So it's now completely removed.

Aug 31, 2023 6:54 PM in response to n1cholle

I haven't used Google Voice for a long, long time but I don't think that there is a Google Voice app on computers (it just uses their website). When you click on it on the Dock or Launchpad, does it open an internet browser tab (e.g., Safari, Chrome, etc)? If so, there is no app and you can just delete the icon.

If you created a Google Voice phone number and want to delete that, see the following from Google support: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Aug 31, 2023 7:17 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks FoxFifth

That's actually the first thing that I tried. It couldn't be directly deleted.

I found the solution tho... I am usually very cautious... but I understand now what happened. It's a browser app that installs instantly and creates a shortcut that displays among your regular apps, but lives in your Chrome Apps folder and can be deleted from there.

Thanks again

How do I remove Google Voice from my mac? (macOS Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.