How can I change the skin tone of emojis on macOS?

I'm running Ventura 13.5.1 on a MacBook Air (M1 2020).I have tried to change the emoji colour via the Character Viewer and the extra colour options just don't show up when I click and hold on the relevant emoji. I've tried using my Trackpad and using my mouse. Is there a setting somewhere that turns this off?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 8:03 PM

FWIW, the color selections work normally on my installs so it doesn't appear to be a bug. Not all emojis have color options. It's more likely a local problem with your Mac.

Try booting into Safe Mode then restart normally. Sometimes that will fix anomalies.

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 31, 2023 7:39 PM in response to amurray

amurray wrote:

I'm running Ventura 13.5.1 on a MacBook Air (M1 2020).I have tried to change the emoji colour via the Character Viewer and the extra colour options just don't show up when I click and hold on the relevant emoji. I've tried using my Trackpad and using my mouse. Is there a setting somewhere that turns this off?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

How to Access & Use Different Emoji Skin Tones on Mac

Access and Use Different Emoji Skin Tones on Mac and iPhone

Changing emoji skin tones

if no resolve—

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

How can I change the skin tone of emojis on macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.