External Hard Drive password not working

I am unable to open my external hard drives for Time Machine with a password that I know for certain is correct (I even copy cut pasted it in to make sure I spelled it correctly). The only issue that I can think of is that updating MacOS somehow prevents the computer and external hard drive from communicating properly. I am having this issue with three external hard drives. I have tried on both my iMac (High Sierra) and Macbook (Big Sur). Help is much appreciated.

MacBook, macOS 11.7

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 7:28 PM

wonsup3 Said:

"External Hard Drive password not working"

-------

Accessing Drives on a Mac:

A. Access in Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, login items do not load at log in, certain System Preferences are set aside, and damages system files (caches) are fixed.

B. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting, logging in once more.

C. Single-Out this User:

See what happens when you crate a new user. Do you still get this error? If so, it is the macOS giving you the issue? If not, then it is the user giving you the issue.

D. Single-Out this Mac:

Plug this into a different Mac, seeing if you can get the ejection to work. If it works, then it is the Mac giving you the issue. If it doesn’t work, then it is the drive giving you the issue. On a Mac with no USB-A port, this would be the adapter to use: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

E. Use of a Hub with External Power:

If a direct connection won’t work to eject this, then you might need an additional power. Get an adapter of sorts. Get a hub —not a splitter —with external power. You’d likely find one on Amazon.com and Newegg.com.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 7:28 PM in response to wonsup3

wonsup3 Said:

"External Hard Drive password not working"

-------

Accessing Drives on a Mac:

A. Access in Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, login items do not load at log in, certain System Preferences are set aside, and damages system files (caches) are fixed.

B. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting, logging in once more.

C. Single-Out this User:

See what happens when you crate a new user. Do you still get this error? If so, it is the macOS giving you the issue? If not, then it is the user giving you the issue.

D. Single-Out this Mac:

Plug this into a different Mac, seeing if you can get the ejection to work. If it works, then it is the Mac giving you the issue. If it doesn’t work, then it is the drive giving you the issue. On a Mac with no USB-A port, this would be the adapter to use: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

E. Use of a Hub with External Power:

If a direct connection won’t work to eject this, then you might need an additional power. Get an adapter of sorts. Get a hub —not a splitter —with external power. You’d likely find one on Amazon.com and Newegg.com.

External Hard Drive password not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.