Connect MacBook Air and Epson printer

I can't connect my printer (Epson Stylus SX200) to my new MB Air (it was working fine with MB Pro). After a few communications with Epson, they confirmed that I should use the driver v.12.62 which is compatible with Ventura. I downloaded and installed the driver but when I click the Print option, nothing happens. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 5:48 AM

Does the printer appear when you go to System Settings and scroll down the left pane, clicking on Printers and Scanners? If not, does it appear when you click on Add Printer, Scanner or Fax in this window?

Here's an Apple Support article that may help: Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2023 5:48 AM in response to Marilou0121

Does the printer appear when you go to System Settings and scroll down the left pane, clicking on Printers and Scanners? If not, does it appear when you click on Add Printer, Scanner or Fax in this window?

Here's an Apple Support article that may help: Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Sep 1, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Marilou0121

Are you connected to the printer via WiFi or with a USB connection?

I just checked the list of Apple AirPrint compatible printers Here, but did not see your printer in the list. Was your MB Pro running the Ventura MacOS when this printer was working with it?

Am I correct in assuming you've tested the printer (it may have a Test Print feature in it?) and it's working? Also, that it's connected to your WiFi network? And that you've cycled power on both it and your MacBook Air?

Sep 2, 2023 10:11 AM in response to Marilou0121

Have you considered connecting the printer to your WiFi network? I prefer this type of connection, as it allows me to print from any of my devices (iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air).

As far as scanning is concerned, there are a couple of options:

• Apple's Image Capture. This has been part of MacOS for many years. You'll find it in Finder-->Applications. (If it's not there, check Finder-->Applications-->Utilities). However, as far as I can tell, it only works via USB.
  • An excellent scanner solution is Hamrick's VueScan. https://www.hamrick.com/ I've used this for probably 20 years now. There are several different purchase and monthly payment options, depending on your needs. It's constantly updated, and I've never had to worry if it would work with any version of MacOS. Unlike Image Capture, however, it's not free. But it works wirelessly via WiFi.

Sep 2, 2023 9:34 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

It is connected via a USB connection. I am not using Airprint.

My MBP was running Catalina, which is why I wanted to upgrade to a MBAir.

I don't know how to print without using my laptop and Cmd+P.

The printer is not connected to wifi.

I've unplugged/replugged everything if that's what you meant.

My feeling is that I downloaded too many versions so it got confused with the various installations.

... I waited in order to send this as I was waiting to see if a techy friend could sort it (he deleted the installations and reinstalled the version suggested by Epson), which kind of works, in that it prints. But there is no mention of the scanner and we haven't managed to sort it out.

So I guess it is now a question for Epson, which I will contact.

Many thanks again.

Sep 3, 2023 4:49 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

Thank you for your reply.

I seem to remember that I checked that possibility when I got my MB Pro, and the printer couldn't do it. But I'll check again, thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't know about Image Capture so checked it out, it can't see any printer or scanner. The printer is connected to my MBA via a hub as it has a USB2 plug (same as quite a few other gizmos, since MBA only has two, USBC, ports).

I'll also check out your Hamrick suggestion, although I'm not keen on paying for it since my printer should also do scanning. It's just a matter of finding where it's hiding, since I installed the new driver!

Jan 13, 2024 8:15 AM in response to Marilou0121

Hi Marilou,

In searching exactly the same problem, I came across this thread and wondered if you had a solution? I have just bought a new MBAir and can connect my Epson Stylus SX200 via downloaded software and a direct USB connection (with an adaptor) but cannot see any facility to scan whatsoever, and that is what I mainly use the Epson for these days.

If you can let me know if you found a solution it would be appreciated. For now I'm reverting to my 2015 MBAir to scan which is absolutely fine. Like you, I don't really want to pay a subscription for something which should work!

Thank you.

Connect MacBook Air and Epson printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.