Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

AppleTV Home Sharing stopped working

I have a 4th Gen AppleTV. The HomeSharing was working yesterday. Today I get a message that the libraries can't be found. The Apple TV sees the computers but when I select a library - I get the spinner for a minute or so and then I get the message "Could not connect to the "Media""

I'm running an M1 and also and older intel. The intel worked yesterday. Now neither work. I've restarted everything - router, A-TV, computers.... I haven't done a reset on the A-TVs (I have 2 - neither are working) which I am loath to do because then I have to enter passwords again. Why is HomeSharing so glitchy.... This isn't the only time I've had an issue. Usually I can resolve it by restarting the A-TV and computers - not today... What gives?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 3:04 AM

Try turning off Home Sharing on the computer. Then restart the computer. Then turn Home Sharing on again.

I haven't done a reset on the A-TVs

Don’t do that yet. The issue is more likely with the source computers, or the network connection.

Does video AirPay from each Mac to Apple TV work without glitches? Then the network is very unlikely to be the issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 3:04 AM in response to George Lacy1

Try turning off Home Sharing on the computer. Then restart the computer. Then turn Home Sharing on again.

I haven't done a reset on the A-TVs

Don’t do that yet. The issue is more likely with the source computers, or the network connection.

Does video AirPay from each Mac to Apple TV work without glitches? Then the network is very unlikely to be the issue.

Sep 2, 2023 1:51 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you! That helped. I ended up having to reset both Apple TVs to finally get them to connect. I had already reset one AppleTV and it connected after your suggestion to turn off Home Sharing etc. The other AppleTV would not connect to any library until it was reset.

Not sure what Apple did to make them stop working, because I had done no updates (manually) and had not installed any new software.

Thanks again.

AppleTV Home Sharing stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.