I want replace my external drive to behave and to be seen by the system as the old one...

I want to use my new 8TB external SSD drive as a replacement of my old 6TB external drive. I'm using it for large amount of data for my music libraries, which are linked to many other apps on the system drive. I need those apps to reach at this specific external drive to be able to load the data and a simple renaming of the drive won't do it, of course. In Windows it would just be the drive letter change, and under OSX, the UUID of the drive needs to be probably changed, I guess, but I was not being able to do it, even I've tried to work with the hfs.util command, but with no luck...

Does anyone could help me to make the new drive to behave a to be seen by the system as the old one?

iMac Pro, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 7:14 AM

Your new drive may not need to be "seen as the old one."

I'm assuming you've used something like Carbon Copy Cloner, or similar, to move the data from the 6TB to the 8TB. If not, think about doing that. Then, once the clone is complete, double-click on a file you'd like to open in the new drive. It should work perfectly. Keep repeating until your Mac gets the message--just a few different apps. I don't think you'll have any difficulties.

I'm not affiliated with CCC, but have been a big fan for many years. It does a lot of useful things.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 7:14 AM in response to dbmusicmaniac

Your new drive may not need to be "seen as the old one."

I'm assuming you've used something like Carbon Copy Cloner, or similar, to move the data from the 6TB to the 8TB. If not, think about doing that. Then, once the clone is complete, double-click on a file you'd like to open in the new drive. It should work perfectly. Keep repeating until your Mac gets the message--just a few different apps. I don't think you'll have any difficulties.

I'm not affiliated with CCC, but have been a big fan for many years. It does a lot of useful things.

I want replace my external drive to behave and to be seen by the system as the old one...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.