How does a family member switch from shared iCloud storage back to an individual plan?

There are plenty of details in Apple Support about how to start sharing your iCloud storage and how others in your family can decide to switch from an individual plan to the shared plan, but what if they change their mind?

What are the steps to switch from a shared storage plan back to an individual storage plan while safeguarding the data you have in iCloud?

As a related question: How would the person who started sharing their plan switch that sharing responsibility to another person in the family so they can go back to an individual plan while others continue to share?

iMac 24″

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 5:49 AM

See iCloud+ - Apple. As far I know all you need to do is take out a personal plan to cover the overall storage in use before whoever is currently paying for the shared plan decides to reduce the quantity of storage they want to pay for. Everybody's personal data should remain, and remain separate. I'm pretty sure sharing within a family is automatic, or at least you cannot pick and choose which members access the shared services.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 5:49 AM in response to FTLPhysicsGuy

See iCloud+ - Apple. As far I know all you need to do is take out a personal plan to cover the overall storage in use before whoever is currently paying for the shared plan decides to reduce the quantity of storage they want to pay for. Everybody's personal data should remain, and remain separate. I'm pretty sure sharing within a family is automatic, or at least you cannot pick and choose which members access the shared services.

tt2

Sep 3, 2023 4:14 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply, but I guess my question wasn't quite clear. In Apple support (see Share iCloud+ with your Family) it clearly explains how you can start sharing your storage with your family. It also tells us what happens to someone who already has a storage plan:

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud+ plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time.

So, a family member can choose not to join the sharing plan and keep an individual plan, but what if the do join then later change their mind? How would they switch back to an individual plan without leaving the family (so they continue sharing other subscriptions and services)?

It seems reasonable to expect it can be done, but I haven't found anything on Apple Support about how to leave a shared iCloud+ plan and go to an individual plan without leaving the family altogether.

How does a family member switch from shared iCloud storage back to an individual plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.