Iphone Refurbish

How can I get information if an Iphone is refurbished or factory second? I am thinking about buying an Iphone off Ebay. But want to know this information before i buy one?

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 2:54 AM

A model number starting with M indicates that it is not refurbished. However, it does not indicate any other details of the condition of the device. As Lawrence says above, there is much more to be concerned with than the new/refurbished status.

12 replies

Sep 2, 2023 6:07 PM in response to Tmoore25

Tmoore25 Said:

"Iphone Refurbish: How can I get information if an Iphone is refurbished or factory second? I am thinking about buying an Iphone off Ebay. But want to know this information before i buy one?"

-------

Finding a Device's Info:

You'd have to ask the Seller. For note, I would recommend staying off of eBay, when it comes to purchased Apple Products. There are plenty of scams reported on these forums. Before your purchase this, demand that the seller logs out of iCloud on it. If they don't, you will never able to use it under your own account. The is the site they need to use, prior to selling it, including the iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade In your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2023 6:21 PM in response to Tmoore25

Note that Apple sells Certified Refurbished iPhones through the online Apple Store.

Why Refurbished - Apple

According to that page, a Certified Refurbished iPhone from the Apple Store will come with a new battery and outer shell, and a one-year warranty. If you buy a Certified Refurbished phone from Apple, there is virtually no chance that you will be sent a phone that is "bricked" (Activation Locked to a previous owner).

Sep 2, 2023 6:04 PM in response to Tmoore25

There are no “factory seconds”. And there is a lot more to be concerned about than if the phone is refurbished or not. Read the link posted by sberman.

Specifically for refurbished request the model number (the one that ends in /A). This will tell you whether the phone is a refurb, and also in what part of the world it was originally sold. It’s a little confusing to interpret, so post the model number (not the serial number, which is considered personally identifiable information or PII) back in this thread and someone will help you “read” it.

Iphone Refurbish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.