Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My Apple Watch Series 5 no longer displays when I raise my wrist

My Apple Watch Series 5 no longer displays when I raise my wrist. It is very inconvenient to have to use both hands to check the time, messages, etc. I checked the "always on". Is there something else I should try?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 3:39 AM

Hello,

This section of the Apple Watch User Guide has some additional settings to check.

Turn on and wake Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Wake the Apple Watch display

By default, you can wake the Apple Watch display in these ways:

• Raise your wrist. Your Apple Watch sleeps again when you lower your wrist.
  • Tap the display or press the Digital Crown.
  • Turn the Digital Crown upward.

If you don’t want your Apple Watch to wake when you raise your wrist or turn the Digital Crown, open the Settings app  on your Apple Watch, go to Display & Brightness, then turn off Wake on Wrist Raise and Wake On Crown Rotation.

Tip: To temporarily prevent your Apple Watch from waking when you raise your wrist, use theater mode.

If your Apple Watch doesn’t wake when you raise your wrist, make sure you selected the proper wrist and watch orientation. If your Apple Watch doesn’t wake when you tap the display or press or turn the Digital Crown, it may need charging."

Though it's not mentioned here an Apple Watch will also not wake from raising your wrist when Low Power Mode is enabled.

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 3:39 AM in response to adsshr8er

Hello,

This section of the Apple Watch User Guide has some additional settings to check.

Turn on and wake Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Wake the Apple Watch display

By default, you can wake the Apple Watch display in these ways:

• Raise your wrist. Your Apple Watch sleeps again when you lower your wrist.
  • Tap the display or press the Digital Crown.
  • Turn the Digital Crown upward.

If you don’t want your Apple Watch to wake when you raise your wrist or turn the Digital Crown, open the Settings app  on your Apple Watch, go to Display & Brightness, then turn off Wake on Wrist Raise and Wake On Crown Rotation.

Tip: To temporarily prevent your Apple Watch from waking when you raise your wrist, use theater mode.

If your Apple Watch doesn’t wake when you raise your wrist, make sure you selected the proper wrist and watch orientation. If your Apple Watch doesn’t wake when you tap the display or press or turn the Digital Crown, it may need charging."

Though it's not mentioned here an Apple Watch will also not wake from raising your wrist when Low Power Mode is enabled.

I hope this helps.

My Apple Watch Series 5 no longer displays when I raise my wrist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.