Finder sidebar will not show any devices

I wanted to add new music to my iPhone 8 using my new MacBook air. But I find that no devices will show up in the Finder sidebar. I plugged in my external hard drive and its icon appears on the desktop but it does not show up in the sidebar. System report shows both the iPhone and the hard drive are connected. Tried Finder prefs, changing cables, changing USB ports, restarting, upgrading software, all the common fixes. Nothing. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support, went through all the steps again, finally they had me reinstall MacOS on the MacBook. Still nothing. I'm beginning to think it's a glitch in Ventura. Any thoughts?

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 7:13 PM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2023 7:17 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hey Luis, yes the sidebar settings was one of the first things we checked. However, the twirling... That was it!

1 - why would the Locations portion of the sidebar be twirled closed by default on a new MacBook?

2 - that little arrow is tiny, and is invisible unless you mouse over the word.

3 - I spent an hour on the phone with Apple "Experts", and nobody ever suggested that.

4 - No online articles on the subject mention that as a possible solution either.

Good job, thanks!

Finder sidebar will not show any devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.