Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

magnetic chargers not QI Wireless

I’ve used the magnetic chargers on a few items. Not QI wireless chargers. The type where u leave the magnet part in the charge port, and connect to that. Was told that shorting the 2 contacts won’t hurt the iPhone. ( the 2 contacts are out in the open where any metal part could connect the two, causing a short) . Has anyone tried shorting the contacts and the phone is not damaged? Seems like to test it, either your phone is ok or destroyed. A possibility destructive test, which I’m not willing to try on such an expensive item. Are really easy to connect tho.

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 3:40 AM

Thanks. Thought that might be the case. The seller of the cables claimed there was no risk, which is not surprising seeing they just wanted to sell their cables. Thx. Don’t really think it worth the time to contact the manufacturer. Btw there is almost nothing left extending out of the lightning port when the adapter is plugged in. No danger there. I can send u a pic of u want. You didn’t actually answer my question tho, still left me wondering. Kind of a generic answer:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 3:40 AM in response to LD150

Thanks. Thought that might be the case. The seller of the cables claimed there was no risk, which is not surprising seeing they just wanted to sell their cables. Thx. Don’t really think it worth the time to contact the manufacturer. Btw there is almost nothing left extending out of the lightning port when the adapter is plugged in. No danger there. I can send u a pic of u want. You didn’t actually answer my question tho, still left me wondering. Kind of a generic answer:

magnetic chargers not QI Wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.