Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Find hidden Mac files

Hello!

Do you confirm that it is not possible to search for a hidden file/folder under mac, even when displaying hidden files?

I have a folder in:

/usr/local/FolderName/

When I search with the finder, I can't find it!

(even after having activated hidden files with "command + shift + .").

On the other hand, I find it with iTerm via the command:

find / -name "folder_name" 

(thanks GPT4)

So I conclude that it's not possible to search for hidden files? 😳

Thanks 🙏

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 6:29 AM

I don’t know if Spotlight indexes /usr or any of its sub-directories. All searches except “find” use Spotlight.

Here are some tips for searching system folders.

Search Everywhere - Apple Community

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 4, 2023 9:28 AM in response to 0x1337ff

If you want to search for hidden files buried deep in the System and Users Library (which spotlight does not search) then you could try using "Find my File" by Thomas Tempelmann, which will find everything! Make sure you only download it from his site here:

https://findanyfile.app/

I´ve been using it for years...it´s very small, very fast and easy to use. Highly recommended! Hope this helps you!

Find hidden Mac files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.