Grey opaque smudge on iPad screen

My wife has a 12.9 inch iPad Pro 5th generation with a Logitech Combo case\keyboard on it. Over the last few weeks she has seen a grey smudge-like dot appear on the bottom center of the screen. I can make it go away or reappear by putting a little bit of pressure on the back area of the iPad where the dot is. I have tried another Logitech case of the same model but the problem remains. I am thinking either this is some odd hardware problem, or an even stranger problem with the case! She has been using the case for several months so I am not sure why this is happening right now. The smudge stays in the same place if the screen is rotated. Other than this glitch, her iPad is working perfectly! I am attaching a photo of the smudge to possible help you all determine what this is! Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Note: This photo shows vertical lines on the smudge which you do not see when looking directly at the iPad.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 7:00 AM

While screens can be damaged by sustained point pressure, if your iPad screen exhibits distortion of colour or brightness when slight pressure is applied, it needs to be assessed by an Apple Technician.

You would be best advised visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 7:00 AM in response to Mikekoz

While screens can be damaged by sustained point pressure, if your iPad screen exhibits distortion of colour or brightness when slight pressure is applied, it needs to be assessed by an Apple Technician.

You would be best advised visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 4, 2023 11:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks, but I just went on Apple's web page to get an estimate of repair, and like I thought, it is more than the iPad is worth. The estimate I was given was $750.00 and I could get a used one for less than that. I have a feeling they do not actually repair them anyway, but offer a refurbished model in its place. I work on laptops and most of these devices these days are throw away items and are not repairable. The MacBook Pros I have worked on for the most part are not upgradable or repairable unless you have an older model. iPads I would imagine are even worse in that regard! For now I have put the iPad in the original case my wife was using and so far the glitch has not reappeared. I was just hoping there was some trick to get it fixed, but I think you are correct, it is a hardware issue. Hopefully it will continue to work for her. Thanks again for your assistance!

Grey opaque smudge on iPad screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.