Why email flags don't fly anymore

For some time, without user input, Apple's Mail team has removed the ability for users to identify flagged emails from the main window. They give other options requiring a number of additional key clicks - which still don't actually SHOW the flag. How difficult would it be to add an elective column choice to show that little color dot?

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 2:22 PM

Simple if using Mail In Column View

Control Click or Right Click in Header ie Subject .

As Sub Menu appears and enable Flags

Seems to work here an the Flag in this view will be at beginning of Message

Refer to image below

11 replies

Sep 4, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Skeptacular

P. Phillips has my correct answer, as yet not seen by me in Apple help sections. And who would have ever found such an arbitrary solution? On a Mac, selecting the "SUbject" column header, THEN selecting desired columns from the drop-down. Which was superbly hidden and when known, easily accomplished. Thanks to all who tried to help. Oh for Steve Jobs when Apple so sorely needs him!

Sep 5, 2023 1:28 AM in response to Skeptacular

Skeptacular wrote:

P. Phillips has my correct answer, as yet not seen by me in Apple help sections. And who would have ever found such an arbitrary solution? On a Mac, selecting the "SUbject" column header, THEN selecting desired columns from the drop-down. Which was superbly hidden and when known, easily accomplished. Thanks to all who tried to help. Oh for Steve Jobs when Apple so sorely needs him!

Welcome and thank you too

Sep 5, 2023 5:25 AM in response to Skeptacular

Skeptacular wrote:

Or maybe go to then View menu and uncheck "Use Column Layout". Flags will then be shown in the message list by default.

I think this explains why you thought this was a change. It wasn't. Apple changed the default many years ago. Somehow, you inadvertently changed your settings back to the ancient style.

You can also see all flagged messages in the "Flagged" Smart Folder under Favourites.

Sep 5, 2023 7:07 AM in response to etresoft

Well, etresoft, you have a germ of the truth there. I'm not an IT guy, just a graphic design oriented end-user who always sang the praises of Mac. I was around when they ended the Performa, and when the first 1gb of storage Mac debuted (why EVER BUY ANOTHER COMPUTER!?) and bought every third Mac evolutionary model advance since. Now at retirement age, I nursed my cursed trashcan Mac through time to discover with shock I had a decade-old Mac system when, beyond ANY rational rationale, it had to be replaced. So now, one new MacbookPro, and one new Swiss Cheese Mac Pro (a wonderful machine) and here I am, citing the old TV network rerun mantra: "It's new if it's new to YOU!" So yeah, I'm like Rip Van Winkle awaking up and Snapz Pro is a fossil. They have this horrible thing called "Focus", and you can't get rid of it. Other longstanding problems have disappeared. But then there is the irritant of...me. The old geezer and the dust he kicks up. Thanks to this discussion though I am quickly muted by your observations regarding the strange decisions of the near past (subject, columns, flag, verify) and that'll do, boomer, that'll do.

Why email flags don't fly anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.