After updating to 13.5.1, secured folder won't open

I alllowed my M1 MacBook Air to upgrade to 13.5.1, now my secured folder won't open. I know the password because I've used this folder almost daily for years. How do I get this folder to open again? There is a lot of information in there that I need. I have used Time Machine and I restored a backup from before I upgraded and it fails to open also. Help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 3:48 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 3:48 PM in response to mitchJ82

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 5, 2023 4:17 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Have you tried running first aid in disc utility on the image? I don’t know if that’s possible, but worth a try. I can’t check if it’s a capability right now.

I don't think it is possible now that I have had a chance to look.

But, you could try Open Disk Image from the File menu and see if that will mount it.

In Terminal you can try copy/paste this, leave a space, and drag in the image:

hdiutil attach 

If it is just rejecting the password, I don't have much hope in either.

After updating to 13.5.1, secured folder won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.