iPhone 14 Pro Max Network Selection issue

My iPhone 14 Pro Max,iOS version 16.6, looses the cellular data network selection to my carrier (T-Mobile). I currently use voice connectivity through my internet provider, satellite. Normally, the voice connection is very clear. The problem is the phone drops the network selection which means no voice calls, but texting and other internet services work. At first I followed all of the recommended steps - turn airplane mode off/on, power down and on, turn wifi off, reset phone, reset network selection, etc. Nothing worked. I called my carrier. After about 30 minutes, and after they contacted apple, my network selection was restored. However, that did not fix the problem because it will still loose the network selection. Now instead of going through all of the steps that don't work I lay the phone down and usually within 5 minutes the network selection returns and I can again make voice calls (voip). I have not had any problems when I am in cellular service. I don't know if it is an Apple problem, a carrier problem or my internet carrier problem but it is very annoying. I have seen other posts that report the same issue, some that also are unable to use messaging or other apps, so that makes me think it isn't a problem with the internet provider but is an Apple issue. My husband also has the Pro Max, software current and he has the same problem. I wish someone at Apple would do some diligent investigateion on this problem and get it fixed. I never had this problem with the iPhone 12 so this is new. And I'm not in the mood to upgrade yet.

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 11:52 PM

Normally, voice calls do not need the internet. I am not sure what voice call you are referring to.

What Call? On an iPhone, you can make and receive various types of calls. Here are the different types:

1. These are standard voice calls made over the cellular network. They utilize your carrier's voice network to connect you with other phone numbers. Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
  2. FaceTime Audio allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi or cellular data using your internet connection. It provides higher audio quality compared to traditional cellular calls.
  3. FaceTime Video enables you to have video calls with other FaceTime users. It uses the front or rear camera on your iPhone to transmit live video during the call. Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
  4. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls use internet connectivity to make phone calls. Apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, and Google Hangouts utilize this technology, allowing you to make voice and video calls over the Internet.
  5. Some carriers support Wi-Fi calling, which allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of relying solely on cellular coverage. This can be useful in areas with weak cellular reception. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support (IN)
  6. The App Store offers numerous calling apps that utilize different technologies. These apps can provide additional features and options for making calls, such as international calling, call recording, and more.

It's important to note that the availability of certain call types may depend on your iPhone model, iOS version, and carrier.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 11:52 PM in response to NancyWilliamson

Normally, voice calls do not need the internet. I am not sure what voice call you are referring to.

What Call? On an iPhone, you can make and receive various types of calls. Here are the different types:

1. These are standard voice calls made over the cellular network. They utilize your carrier's voice network to connect you with other phone numbers. Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
  2. FaceTime Audio allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi or cellular data using your internet connection. It provides higher audio quality compared to traditional cellular calls.
  3. FaceTime Video enables you to have video calls with other FaceTime users. It uses the front or rear camera on your iPhone to transmit live video during the call. Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
  4. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls use internet connectivity to make phone calls. Apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, and Google Hangouts utilize this technology, allowing you to make voice and video calls over the Internet.
  5. Some carriers support Wi-Fi calling, which allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of relying solely on cellular coverage. This can be useful in areas with weak cellular reception. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support (IN)
  6. The App Store offers numerous calling apps that utilize different technologies. These apps can provide additional features and options for making calls, such as international calling, call recording, and more.

It's important to note that the availability of certain call types may depend on your iPhone model, iOS version, and carrier.

iPhone 14 Pro Max Network Selection issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.