iPad Pro 2nd generation 12.9” battery problems

I have an iPad Pro from 2015. When I charge it fully, it won’t turn on and will give me the “needs charging screen.” After 10-50 hard resets, it will eventually come on, and then die multiple times. Once the battery level gets BELOW 100%, it will stabilize and stay on.

As long as I never charge it fully, there are no issues. But it’s easy to plug in and forget, and then the torture begins.

yes, I know it’s old, but it works perfectly for me beyond this battery issue. What’s my best course of action?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 9:27 AM

As described, your iPad battery may have a fault, or may be reaching the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed or is failing, the iPad may unexpectedly turn-off - or may not successfully boot to a running state even when connected to its Power Adapter. Rechargeable batteries chemically age; when they are unable to provide peak power upon demand, the iPad May unexpectedly shut down or restart.

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might consider seeking assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 9:27 AM in response to Mattcbrown

As described, your iPad battery may have a fault, or may be reaching the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed or is failing, the iPad may unexpectedly turn-off - or may not successfully boot to a running state even when connected to its Power Adapter. Rechargeable batteries chemically age; when they are unable to provide peak power upon demand, the iPad May unexpectedly shut down or restart.

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might consider seeking assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Pro 2nd generation 12.9” battery problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.