My MacBook Air gets really warm

Whenever I use my MacBook Air for more than 5 or 10 minutes the bottom of my computer and the part over the keyboard get super warm. It also has problem charging when it gets hot. It just stays at the same procent unless I switch between the two outlets, then it charges maybe 2 or 3 procent and I then have to switch again. The battery also goes down really fast when it gets hot, but I have 89% battery capacity. How can I fix this? Is there something I can do myself?

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 6:21 PM

Perhaps.

If you dig down through the links in About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support, you will eventually find this passage from Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support:

"If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. ..."

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor if you wish. Use the Energy pane, or CPU sorted by %CPU in descending order to see which apps or processes are using the most energy or placing the greatest demands on your Mac's CPU, respectively. To show the most relevant information I suggest selecting "Active Processes" from Activity Monitor's View menu.

Other thoughts addressed in the above Apple Support documents but are not emphasized enough IMO: never use cases, covers, or "skins" on a Mac.

If nothing helps please write back for additional suggestions.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 6:21 PM in response to emelie258

Perhaps.

If you dig down through the links in About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support, you will eventually find this passage from Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support:

"If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. ..."

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor if you wish. Use the Energy pane, or CPU sorted by %CPU in descending order to see which apps or processes are using the most energy or placing the greatest demands on your Mac's CPU, respectively. To show the most relevant information I suggest selecting "Active Processes" from Activity Monitor's View menu.

Other thoughts addressed in the above Apple Support documents but are not emphasized enough IMO: never use cases, covers, or "skins" on a Mac.

If nothing helps please write back for additional suggestions.

My MacBook Air gets really warm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.