Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Copy and paste keeps breaking on my iPad

I can copy and paste with no issue on my iPhone, but when I use my iPad, it works for a bit, but then stops working until a while later, and then this issue repeats. It shows as if something is in the clipboard, but when I paste it, it's completely empty.

I've tried this:

1. Selecting text/double tapping to copy and paste.
  2. Using the OS keyboard buttons.

I've noticed sometimes the paste button appears black on the clipboard, but doesn't change when I click it.

Info:

iPad: iPad Pro 3rd generation (iPadOS 14.7.1)

iPhone: iPhone SE 2nd generation (iOS 14.7.1)

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 3:13 AM

All models of iPad Pro and your iPhone SE2 are both capable of update to iOS/iPadOS 16.6. As you have iOS/iPadOS 14.7.1 installed, you should update both to the current version.

These support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while your devices are capable of update, given that they are so far behind the current version, you may need to use a computer to perform the update. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad/iPhone - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that to install an available update, the device battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 3:13 AM in response to anabel249

All models of iPad Pro and your iPhone SE2 are both capable of update to iOS/iPadOS 16.6. As you have iOS/iPadOS 14.7.1 installed, you should update both to the current version.

These support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while your devices are capable of update, given that they are so far behind the current version, you may need to use a computer to perform the update. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad/iPhone - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that to install an available update, the device battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter.

Sep 6, 2023 5:29 PM in response to anabel249

Keeping your iPad updated will help to ensure that known functional issues are fixed - as well as ensuring that emerging security vulnerabilities and active exploits are patched.

Your issue may have been resolved years ago. Unless you update, you'll never know. If you seek assistance from Apple Support, diagnostics will require that you update to a supported version of iPadOS.

Ultimately, it's your choice - but if you a wedded to an unsupported version of iOS/iPadOS, you can expect to encounter unresolvable difficulties.

Sep 7, 2023 6:19 AM in response to LotusPilot

Though is there a solution to fix it other than updating (which I might not even have the storage for at this point)? Also the reason I was confused was this doesn’t happen on my phone which also ran iOS 14.7.1, or my iPad with iOS 9.3.5 (can’t update past that and if I could update it past iOS 10 I wouldn’t since I need it for 32-but apps). And please don’t force me to..

May 7, 2024 6:29 PM in response to LotusPilot

This happens to me on my phone. I tried restarting, I’m on the current OS. I’m on the iPhone 11 Pro Max. And this happens whenever I try to use the spacebar to drag my cursor , try to click into a mistyped word before I hit send and many other cases. I tried resetting the dictionary and ensuring I have plenty of space. Many apps have this issue. Also today, I tried calling something but the button didn’t work. I meant to type someone but didn’t bother to try to correct it because I know it will freeze this keyboard. Help!

Copy and paste keeps breaking on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.