My MacBook Pro gives lock image

After I updated my MacBook ,10 days ago it restarted then it gives me gray screen with lock image and down the image small bar to fill password I tried all my passcodes but no answe ? Please help me ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 8:51 AM

If this is an Intel Mac, then it sounds like that laptop may have a firmware password lock enabled. Is this what you are seeing?

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

If so, then it may have a password unassociated with any macOS user account. If you don't know the password, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid acceptable proof of purchase and personal ID so they can verify you are the proper owner of that Mac. I would suggest contacting the service location first to verify what they will accept as valid proof of purchase & ID. If you cannot provide acceptable proof of purchase & ID, then there is nothing you can do to remove it. It probably also indicates the internal drive is no longer working since the laptop is attempting to boot from other external media which it cannot do without entering the correct password for the firmware lock.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 8:51 AM in response to ABCD-EFG

If this is an Intel Mac, then it sounds like that laptop may have a firmware password lock enabled. Is this what you are seeing?

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

If so, then it may have a password unassociated with any macOS user account. If you don't know the password, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid acceptable proof of purchase and personal ID so they can verify you are the proper owner of that Mac. I would suggest contacting the service location first to verify what they will accept as valid proof of purchase & ID. If you cannot provide acceptable proof of purchase & ID, then there is nothing you can do to remove it. It probably also indicates the internal drive is no longer working since the laptop is attempting to boot from other external media which it cannot do without entering the correct password for the firmware lock.

My MacBook Pro gives lock image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.