Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

iPad 2 will not connect to wifi

I have an iPad 2 (OS 9.3.5) that will connect to some wifi networks and not others. For instance, it will connect to a wifi network at home (AT&T) and it will connect to my iPhone's hotspot, but it will not connect to my Deco Mesh wifi network (Xfinity) at my vacation home. It *does* recognize and display the wifi network. But when I enter the password, it provides the "unable to connect" message.

I have:

• "forgotten" the network
  • reset the network settings
  • rebooted the router
  • re-started the iPad

to no avail. I'm thinking the iPad and OS are just too old and probably will not connect to the new Deco Mesh wifi network because of that. Does anyone else have any ideas?

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:19 PM

As a temporary test, turn off the wireless security settings on the Deco mesh router to see if the iPad can connect that way. In other words, the iPad will not need to enter a password to connect to the network during this "test".

If the iPad can connect, this confirms that the Wi-Fi security settings on the Deco router will need to be lowered to allow the iPad to connect. Look for a setting of WPA2 (AES) which would be a compatible Wi-Fi security setting for the iPad.

You may need to get with Xfinity support to ask them how to lower the Wi-Fi security settings on the router, assuming this is possible.

On the other hand, if the iPad cannot connect during your "temporary test", then obviously it will never connect to the Deco router when security is re-enabled on the router.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 6:19 PM in response to m.ohagan

As a temporary test, turn off the wireless security settings on the Deco mesh router to see if the iPad can connect that way. In other words, the iPad will not need to enter a password to connect to the network during this "test".

If the iPad can connect, this confirms that the Wi-Fi security settings on the Deco router will need to be lowered to allow the iPad to connect. Look for a setting of WPA2 (AES) which would be a compatible Wi-Fi security setting for the iPad.

You may need to get with Xfinity support to ask them how to lower the Wi-Fi security settings on the router, assuming this is possible.

On the other hand, if the iPad cannot connect during your "temporary test", then obviously it will never connect to the Deco router when security is re-enabled on the router.

iPad 2 will not connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.