Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

My last update took away many contacts, why?

After the most recent update, many of my contacts were missing, why??

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:19 PM

Contacts sync to email accounts, so if your phone can’t access your email server(s) you won’t have all contacts. If all of your contacts synced to iCloud this may help→iCloud: Restore contacts, calendars, and more in iCloud Settings

2 replies

Sep 6, 2023 6:30 PM in response to bigflo

bigflo Said:

"My last update took away many contacts, why?: After the most recent update, many of my contacts were missing, why??"

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Contacts:

I. Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

II. Some things to try...

A. Enable Contacts in iCloud Settings:

See If “Contacts” is somehow disabled.

• If it is disabled, then enable it.
  • If it is enabled, then disable it and then re-enable it.

B. Retrieve Contacts from Other Devices:

Have a Mac?: Enable Contacts in iCloud on both your iPhone and Mac, and then search through using either device. Using a computer may be more user-friendly when searching through Contacts.

C. Also, Try the Following:

My last update took away many contacts, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.