Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Time Machine restore is stuck, for external drive

My time machine restore seems to have stalled. How do I get it going again?

Details: My 2T external drive with data failed. So I bought a new external hard drive, and started a Time Machine restore. I had the old failed drive backed up, so I thought no problem. I stared the restore with no issues, 1.19 TB to a new external 2 TB drive. The finder told me it would take about 2 days, and I could watch the progress in the dialogue box saying: "Copying 19,855" items to the new drive. But about an hour in, the dialogue box stoped at "Copying 19,457 items". Five hours later, it is still there. The dialogue box shows no progress. Something has gone wrong.

Can I abort the restore process to start again? If so, how? I tried to restart the powerbook, but I'm told I can't because a function is in progress, and I would have to stop it before I can restart. But how do I stop it?

If I can start over, I would restore just parts of the external drive at a time, and not try the whole 1.2T of data. again Thanks for helping me abort the failed restore of the external disk.

MacBook Pro 15″, 13.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 7:50 AM

RFeather wrote:

Details: My 2T external drive with data failed. So I bought a new external hard drive, and started a Time Machine restore. I had the old failed drive backed up, so I thought no problem. I stared the restore with no issues, 1.19 TB to a new external 2 TB drive. The finder told me it would take about 2 days, and I could watch the progress in the dialogue box saying: "Copying 19,855" items to the new drive. But about an hour in, the dialogue box stoped at "Copying 19,457 items". Five hours later, it is still there. The dialogue box shows no progress. Something has gone wrong.

Can I abort the restore process to start again? If so, how? I tried to restart the powerbook, but I'm told I can't because a function is in progress, and I would have to stop it before I can restart. But how do I stop it?

If I can start over, I would restore just parts of the external drive at a time, and not try the whole 1.2T of data. again Thanks for helping me abort the failed restore of the external disk.

I would use a different backup and compare your results...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 7:50 AM in response to RFeather

RFeather wrote:

I would use a different backup and compare your results...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 7, 2023 10:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy. I didn't know about the force shutdown thing. I did it, and when I restarted and went back to Time Machine back ups, I can no longer see the external disk back up. geez. BUT, I do also have an offsite backup, Crash Plan, as you wisely recommended. So I started to restore just one small folder (out of 12 big folders) from Crash Plan and it told me it would take 2-days. And then CrashPlan paused itself when my mac went to sleep (without my permission). So likely it will take over a month to restore the entire external drive. I think Crash Plan will send me the backup on cd's for a small fee, so that's what I'll do.

Time Machine restore is stuck, for external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.