Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Is there a way to run Mail without running rules?

I recently bought a new mac and transferred everything to it from another one. Do the old rules transfer and run on the new Mac when I open Mail? If so, how can I prevent that from happening? I store emails locally, and don't want that to happen on the new Mac.

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 6:53 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 7, 2023 7:00 AM in response to phi1istine

phi1istine wrote:

I recently bought a new mac and transferred everything to it from another one. Do the old rules transfer and run on the new Mac when I open Mail? If so, how can I prevent that from happening? I store emails locally, and don't want that to happen on the new Mac.

?

Turn rules off it suits your needs... Mail > Settings>Rules>Remove

Change Add Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected you can turn it off in Mail>Settings>Junk

ref: Mail User Guide for Mac

Sep 7, 2023 8:48 AM in response to phi1istine

phi1istine wrote:

I guess I didn't explain myself well. I have rules that move emails to local mail folders. I don't want Mail.app to run the rules on my new Mac, because then the emails will be moved to the wrong local folder. So when I run Mail on the new computer, I don't want the rules to run so I can turn them off before anything is moved to the wrong Mac.

Maybe I did not explain myself well. Remove the rules.

if you sync mail via the same appleID and iCloud or iCloud Drive— then make a changes/ or sign out there if you do not want the mail to sync rules and all across devices.

Rule files are stored in MailData folder in your User's Library....

For Ventura Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy & paste:

~/Library/Mail/V10

Sep 7, 2023 8:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

I guess I didn't explain myself well. I have rules that move emails to local mail folders. I don't want Mail.app to run the rules on my new Mac, because then the emails will be moved to the wrong local folder. So when I run Mail on the new computer, I don't want the rules to run so I can turn them off before anything is moved to the wrong Mac.

Is there a way to run Mail without running rules?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.