At my wits end, cannot update from Mojave

Hi all,

Brand new here. Received a 2019 MacBookPro, 500GB SSD, 16GB Ram. Laptop needed a new battery which I purchased and had installed. It was in an Azure environment, but I have triple confirmed it has been removed.

Laptop came with Mojave OS (4 versions old of current Ventura). For whatever reason it "will not" upgrade. When I go to software update it tells me that Ventura will download, and does. But it fails each and every time.

I have downloaded Catalina and Big Sur and tried to install them as well. Each and every version gives the exact same error message which I have attached a couple.

Every web page I have looked at has the same 8-10 things to check, I've done them all.

-checked clock, wired / wireless, different networks, reboot, clear NVRAM, safe mode install, Apple Servers, network connection, disk space, bootable USB.

NOTHING IS WORKING. I have also erased the drive and started over with the Mojave partition installer. That will work, but then nothing after it.

I then got a copy of Ventura as well as a copy of Big Sur downloaded. Created the bootable USB for both. I have tried both, and again get errors. (first get a message saying "A software update is required to use this startup disk.") So I make sure to connect to wireless, then click Update. It then says ("This update will take several minutes to complete and the screen will turn off for up to a minute.") My next message says ("An error occurred installing the update. Try again or select another startup disk.")

I am confused that the ONLY thing that will install is a copy of Mojave from the image disk. Any and all other updates constantly fail, regardless of the various methods I try.

To be clear, I am installing Mojave first, then trying to USB boot and install Catalina, Big Sur or Ventura.

Should I be trying this bootable option from a completely wiped drive? I have wiped it a few times and reset it up using APFS. Should I be doing something different?

Getting really frustrated. Any help is greatly appreciated (sorry, for whatever reason the pics are all messed up)

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 11:47 AM

Your USB installers are failing because you must first boot into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode to modify the security settings using the Startup Security Utility to allow booting from USB.

As for macOS not allowing to install the later upgrades....perhaps this laptop is (or was) managed by your employer (or school if a student) which may have rules in place to prevent certain versions of macOS from being installed. Sometimes installing the OS from USB will get past the restriction if it the restriction is only within macOS itself.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if you can install a later version of macOS?

FYI, if the internal SSD is erased, then you lose all ability to authenticate to the T2 security chip since you have a 2018+ model. I'm not sure what happens to the security setting for booting from USB if it was previously enabled. When this happens, your only option may be Internet Recovery Mode.

If enabling booting from USB doesn't allow you to boot & install later versions of macOS, then try Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to attempt to access the macOS 13.x Ventura online installer. Unfortunately some Macs may only boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory no matter the keys used for booting. In that case you may have a problem since for the last few weeks nobody AFAIK has been able to install older versions of macOS from Internet Recovery Mode due to some sort of server issue (or Apple is no longer supporting those older online installers...we don't know since there has been silence from Apple...some regular contributors have already mentioned the issue to Apple behind the scenes). In that case you can try a firmware "Restore" to reset the T2 security chip & firmware to hopefully allow the laptop to access the Ventura online installer.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 11:47 AM in response to marksy68

Your USB installers are failing because you must first boot into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode to modify the security settings using the Startup Security Utility to allow booting from USB.

As for macOS not allowing to install the later upgrades....perhaps this laptop is (or was) managed by your employer (or school if a student) which may have rules in place to prevent certain versions of macOS from being installed. Sometimes installing the OS from USB will get past the restriction if it the restriction is only within macOS itself.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if you can install a later version of macOS?

FYI, if the internal SSD is erased, then you lose all ability to authenticate to the T2 security chip since you have a 2018+ model. I'm not sure what happens to the security setting for booting from USB if it was previously enabled. When this happens, your only option may be Internet Recovery Mode.

If enabling booting from USB doesn't allow you to boot & install later versions of macOS, then try Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to attempt to access the macOS 13.x Ventura online installer. Unfortunately some Macs may only boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory no matter the keys used for booting. In that case you may have a problem since for the last few weeks nobody AFAIK has been able to install older versions of macOS from Internet Recovery Mode due to some sort of server issue (or Apple is no longer supporting those older online installers...we don't know since there has been silence from Apple...some regular contributors have already mentioned the issue to Apple behind the scenes). In that case you can try a firmware "Restore" to reset the T2 security chip & firmware to hopefully allow the laptop to access the Ventura online installer.

Sep 7, 2023 12:48 PM in response to marksy68

The only thing that comes to mind is this:

MacOS Monterey Won’t Install Onto Macs wi… - Apple Community

If that Mac was upgraded with a third-party drive, and you were trying to install Monterey, then it sounds as though Monterey would refuse to install a system firmware update that your Mac needed. You'd need to install Monterey on an Apple drive (to get it to install the firmware), and then after that, you could swap in the third-party drive, and install Monterey on it. Or that's what I gather from the thread.

But you say that it happens with Catalina and Big Sur - not just with Ventura. Also, I don't know whether your Mac has an Apple-supplied drive or a third-party drive. It doesn't sound like this could be it.

Still, it's the only thing I can think of that's even close.

Sep 13, 2023 12:27 PM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed change the settings to boot from USB. I also spoke to my son (whose workplace I got the laptop from) and he assure me there is no record of this device anywhere in their system any more. He did also tell me that many folks at his workplace are running Monterrey OS, they don't restrict updates.

I did try safe mode as well. I tried Internet Recovery Mode (ironically Catalina was the only option, but Ventura is the option through software update). They all give the same error.

I took the laptop to an Apple Certified store and they couldn't get it to upgrade either. The tech guys says he's never seen this.

I would love to try the firmware "restore" you mentioned as I have not tried that. But I don't have another Mac to do so. I will go searching.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2023 12:46 PM in response to marksy68

marksy68 wrote:

I took the laptop to an Apple Certified store and they couldn't get it to upgrade either. The tech guys says he's never seen this.

I would love to try the firmware "restore" you mentioned as I have not tried that. But I don't have another Mac to do so. I will go searching.

The AASP should have tried a firmware "restore" as well. Apple or an AASP should be able to try that for you. Technically the "Revive" option should be all that would be needed, but hard to say.

I have heard of some people using the display models to assist them sometimes, but you would first need to download the Apple Configurator app from the App Store on your own system first, transfer it to USB stick, then to the host laptop....just make sure to delete it from the host Mac afterwards & remember to empty the Trash on the host Mac as well since items downloaded from the App Store will retain your AppleID which would be easy for all to see if the app is left behind on a Mac you don't control.

Sep 14, 2023 8:17 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech, you are a genius. Thank you so much. I didn't realize we had 3 mac minis at work, and one was running Mojave.

I followed the instructions you referenced to the T (Mr. MacIntosh) and it took about 4 minutes to "revive" the firmware. Updated it from 17.....to 20......

I was cautiously optimistic at that point. Re-downloaded Ventura and it took about 15 minutes. I am now runnign a current os.

Really appreciate your help!

At my wits end, cannot update from Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.