Moving Apple ID's

I have a work iphone that I have been using for both work and personal for years. My work is now ending allowing us to use work phones for personal use. I have an apple ID/icloud associated with this phone and I have years of personal photos there. I want to create a new personal apple ID and move all of my photos there. What's the easiest way to do this?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 11:56 AM

This is far easier than you might otherwise expect.

Presumably you already have an eMail address which YOU personally control and would like to use as your AppleID.

Use the CHANGE AppleID function described here:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

This method will retain all of your apps, purchases, and subscriptions.

See also:

What to do after you've changed your Apple ID or password – Apple Support (AU)

One caveat: The eMail address used for your NEW AppleID can not have have EVER been used as an AppleID, Recovery or Notification email.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 11:56 AM in response to SuperWhaaat

This is far easier than you might otherwise expect.

Presumably you already have an eMail address which YOU personally control and would like to use as your AppleID.

Use the CHANGE AppleID function described here:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

This method will retain all of your apps, purchases, and subscriptions.

See also:

What to do after you've changed your Apple ID or password – Apple Support (AU)

One caveat: The eMail address used for your NEW AppleID can not have have EVER been used as an AppleID, Recovery or Notification email.

Sep 8, 2023 7:38 AM in response to SuperWhaaat

You’re certainly welcome.

We always enjoy assisting those who try to help themselves and “think ahead” …

… rather than blithely “driving over the cliff” and THEN requesting assistance.

As to your follow-on questions:

Just because you use an “owner-provided” e-mail does not necessarily give them control over your AppleID and/or your device(s).

Two places for a quick check would be in “Profiles” (listed immediately under your name in Settings) or in “VPN.”

Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Install a configuration profile on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2023 6:19 AM in response to SuperWhaaat

Indeed they will.

Other than the “name” change of your AppleID … everything else should remain the same.

It’s somewhat analogous to changing the name of a folder containing documents.

You still have the folder AND the documents inside of it. Only the name of the “container” changed.

Lastly, I honestly don’t know if it matters, but I’ve always performed this task with all devices on the AppleID signed-in, unlocked, and operating online.

Sep 8, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Got it! Again, very helpful. So, this method essentially is not creating a new apple account but is simply changing the name correct? If my work is the "owner" of this apple account, they may have powers to eliminate it at any time without notice. I have to confirm who is the ultimate "owner" of this account. It is confusing to me because years ago when we created this apple account I entered my personal credited card details in order to download apps (all were free work related apps). But since my work email is used as the apple ID it makes me nervous that my work may somehow have administrative right to the account.

Moving Apple ID's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.