Mail is Creating Drafts and They Aren't Deletable

Since the Ventura 13.5.1 (22G90) upgrade, every time I get a new email, click on an email or draft an email; or even attempt to adjust Mail settings, my Mac creates a new blank draft. Nothing happens when you click to close the window or click to delete the draft. The only way to get rid of the pop up window is to minimize it, so the list of drafts keeps growing. I've tried changing the setting in Mailbox Behaviors for Drafts to On My Mac instead of Drafts Folder per the advice of someone in an Apple Facebook group (and 2013 thread here), but it changes itself back. Obviously this is keeping me from getting work done efficiently and is bogging down my computer.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 12:06 PM

trenaptscuba wrote:

Since the Ventura 13.5.1 (22G90) upgrade, every time I get a new email, click on an email or draft an email; or even attempt to adjust Mail settings, my Mac creates a new blank draft. Nothing happens when you click to close the window or click to delete the draft. The only way to get rid of the pop up window is to minimize it, so the list of drafts keeps growing. I've tried changing the setting in Mailbox Behaviors for Drafts to On My Mac instead of Drafts Folder per the advice of someone in an Apple Facebook group (and 2013 thread here), but it changes itself back. Obviously this is keeping me from getting work done efficiently and is bogging down my computer.

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2 — i would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

ref: What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura - Apple Support

if you still have an issue—

I would look for an email stuck in the outbox of one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Delete the mail from the outbox and compare your results deleting erroneous drafts glitch.

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Feedback - Mail - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 12:06 PM in response to trenaptscuba

trenaptscuba wrote:

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2 — i would start there

ref: What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura - Apple Support

if you still have an issue—

I would look for an email stuck in the outbox of one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Delete the mail from the outbox and compare your results deleting erroneous drafts glitch.

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Feedback - Mail - Apple

Mail is Creating Drafts and They Aren't Deletable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.