Flashing mouse on screen

MacBook Air

my curser will not move when I try and turn it on and has a flashing mouse that appears on and off. Would you be able to direct me on resolving this issue?

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 6:15 PM

myloverissa_ Said:

"Flashing mouse on screen: MacBook Air my curser will not move when I try and turn it on and has a flashing mouse that appears on and off. Would you be able to direct me on resolving this issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Flickering Cursor:

A. Force Quit All Open Apps:

Get to the Desktop, and then "Force Quit" all apps.  See my User Tip: [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, if there is no issue. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

C. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 6:15 PM in response to myloverissa_

myloverissa_ Said:

"Flashing mouse on screen: MacBook Air my curser will not move when I try and turn it on and has a flashing mouse that appears on and off. Would you be able to direct me on resolving this issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Flickering Cursor:

A. Force Quit All Open Apps:

Get to the Desktop, and then "Force Quit" all apps.  See my User Tip: [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, if there is no issue. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

C. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

Sep 8, 2023 6:00 AM in response to myloverissa_

myloverissa_ wrote:

MacBook Air

my curser will not move when I try and turn it on and has a flashing mouse that appears on and off. Would you be able to direct me on resolving this issue?

Just to clarify, you are saying the cursor will not move and on the actual mouse, the LED on the is flashing on and off?

If that is the case, it indicates that the mouse has lost communication with the Mac and is trying to reconnect and is apparently unsuccessful.

Have you tried turning off the mouse, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on again?

Have you checked the batteries or the charge level on the mouse? Some times when the battery or charge level get to low, communications from the mouse to the computer can get intermittent.

Also, do you have any other Bluetooth devices or any other wireless devices nearby? It is possible they are causing some sort of interference that is causing the mouse to lose its connection.

If that is the case,

Flashing mouse on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.