Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Why does my IPhone 13 Pro Max get a black screen while I’m on the phone and while it does not end my call, it is unresponsive for anything else?

When on the phone, my screen goes black and will not respond for any other use. It seems to come and go on its own. How do I fix this?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 7:40 AM

If you hold the phone up to your ear while on a call, the screen should lock (go black and be unresponsive). This exactly what the proximity sensor is supposed to do. It keeps your ear and face from triggering things on the screen while you're on a call.

It can also happen if you're on speaker phone if something, like your hand, covers the very top of the screen.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 7:40 AM in response to Catandbas

If you hold the phone up to your ear while on a call, the screen should lock (go black and be unresponsive). This exactly what the proximity sensor is supposed to do. It keeps your ear and face from triggering things on the screen while you're on a call.

It can also happen if you're on speaker phone if something, like your hand, covers the very top of the screen.

Why does my IPhone 13 Pro Max get a black screen while I’m on the phone and while it does not end my call, it is unresponsive for anything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.