Apple Music Lyrics No longer display the writer

Apple Music has this nice feature I liked where it shows who wrote/produced the song at the end of the songs in Live lyrics when the song is done it says "Written by Etc, Etc". I noticed today on my Mac it didn't display this at the end of the song I was playing when in full-screen mini-player but I was sure that song had writing credits cause I listened to it a lot before. I tried a different song still had the same issue then. Then I tried on my iPhone still had the same issue No matter what song I chose or where I was streaming it from it just stopped displaying the "Written By" thing at the end of the song altogether. A prior issue I noticed 2 weeks before was on my iPhone, Apple Music started to confuse Chirs Issak's "Wicked Game" and The Weeknds' "Wicked Games" in my library and started to say Chris Issak wrote The Weeknd's "Wicked Games" which is I know double sure is incorrect. Here are some of the images so yall can know what Im talking about.

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 6:23 AM

I hate that they did this. The lyrics in our phones are modern-day liner notes, so if the songwriter(s) aren’t there, most people will never bother to look it up. So the writers remain in obscurity because Apple can’t be bothered to put a line of text at the bottom of the lyrics. Sad.

38 replies

Sep 19, 2023 6:22 AM in response to wupigsui

Thanks for checking this out. I constantly want to know who wrote the songs I’ve been listening to, especially if I’m not sure if the singer wrote it, or it’s a cover song. Obviously it costs them extra money to provide this information, but I’d be willing to pay more to maintain this service. It’s such a bummer.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 11, 2023 5:03 AM in response to raafay257

I signed up specifically to comment on this, as I look at the “written by” information at the end of the lyrics on a daily basis.

Will Apple comment on the thread? How do we request the “written by”information to be reinstated or get more information as to why it was removed.

In the world of music songwriters are obviously of the utmost importance, and are already very much overlooked. I’m very disappointed this information has been removed from Apple Music and will investigate other music platforms to see if they include music authors, and if so I will consider switching.

Sep 16, 2023 11:06 AM in response to raafay257

It would have been great if Apple could have just kept the songwriting credits in place for those devices not yet on iOS 17 while using the dedicated, more complete credits page for iOS 17 and beyond. A typical animated “Tips” graphic at the bottom of the lyrics screen overlay pointing to the “3 dots” menu to check out the “cool new feature!” as Apple normally does should help once updated to iOS 17. This does nothing to help the customers left in the dark with concerns looking for a non-Apple music service, a non-Apple phone or even leaving the Apple ecosystem altogether as “the last straw” not knowing that the service will be improved and given its own page shortly.

Apple failed to provide a smooth and predictable migration. In the world of IT, electrical backups and more, there is a “Make Before Break” principle in first providing the connectivity to the new service and ensuring that it is successful BEFORE removing the old connectivity. It’s hard to imagine how Apple failed to take the basic steps to avoid loss of potential customers.

Sep 17, 2023 6:42 AM in response to raafay257

This is very disappointing that Apple understands revenue generation, but doesn’t understand that at the core of all songs is the songwriter. It doesn’t take a lot to be born with a great voice, but it does take an amazing amount of creativity, poetry, and storytelling skills to write a song.

I’m a faithful Apple user and shareholder, but this lets me down. Come on Apple, credit the people that make you rich!

Sep 19, 2023 8:01 AM in response to raafay257

What a bummer that they aren't supporting the creators. It was one of my favorite features, I loved seeing Ed Sheeran's or Bruno Mars' name on just about everything. It was fun to learn about the behind the music. I do not have access to the feature people are mentioning about "full credits".

If they were publishing poetry, they would tell you the author; I don't understand how music is different?

Apple Music Lyrics No longer display the writer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.