You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac HD Icon on Desktop keeps Moving

I've had this issue with my Mac HD icon moving from the top right of the desktop to the bottom half of the desktop (below where it originally was positioned) for many years on different OS's and wondered if there is a way to stop the HD icon moving? Currently running a. new MacBook with OS 13.5.

The desktop is set to standard - no snap to grid - and there about 30 items surrounding it. But even if I position those other items with a gap of at least one icons width the HD icon still moves?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 1:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:36 AM

Is there a fix for this?

I don't understand why the HD icon has to keep moving - even when I place it away from other icons. Typically it is taking a screenshot that will then send the screenshot to the top of the screen forcing the HD icon to move to the bottom right instead of leaving it where it's postioned in the top right.

The only fix seems to be ramming the HD icon so far up to the top and right of the desktop screen that you can only see the title and hardly any of the icon itself...

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2023 12:36 AM in response to leroydouglas

Is there a fix for this?

I don't understand why the HD icon has to keep moving - even when I place it away from other icons. Typically it is taking a screenshot that will then send the screenshot to the top of the screen forcing the HD icon to move to the bottom right instead of leaving it where it's postioned in the top right.

The only fix seems to be ramming the HD icon so far up to the top and right of the desktop screen that you can only see the title and hardly any of the icon itself...

Oct 31, 2023 3:14 AM in response to Bardonicloud

I experienced the same problem. After reading various related messages on the web, I tried the following simple trick when placing the icons on the desktop.

Instead of freely move and place an icon, I hold the command key while moving the icon to a place I like. When I release the icon, it will "snap" comfortably to the location. All icons placed will then be perfectly spaced out evenly and tidily. The icons have not moved to other places since then.

Sep 9, 2023 8:17 AM in response to Bardonicloud

Bardonicloud wrote:

I've had this issue with my Mac HD icon moving from the top right of the desktop to the bottom half of the desktop (below where it originally was positioned) for many years on different OS's and wondered if there is a way to stop the HD icon moving? Currently running a. new MacBook with OS 13.5.

The desktop is set to standard - no snap to grid - and there about 30 items surrounding it. But even if I position those other items with a gap of at least one icons width the HD icon still moves?

Thanks

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

ref:

Align and resize items in icon view on Mac - Apple Support

Use desktop stacks on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2023 8:28 AM in response to kwongpkp

Thanks for the help. I see what you mean it does kind of "grid itself" into a location/position when you let go of the cmdBut w key.

When I use the cmd key to make the icon stay at a reasonable level along the top of the desktop the Mac icon will not sit anywhere between the screenshot ending 3.32 (below) and a practical level at the top because it actually goes beyond and right up almost off the top of the desktop?

Any ideas @leroydouglas

The second image shows how taking a screenshot displaces the Mac icon and pushes it down toward the bottom of the desktop.

I doubt this is an issue that an update will fix because this has been going on for years and years under different OS's.

Thanks

|

Dec 6, 2023 8:56 AM in response to Bardonicloud

Bardonicloud wrote:

this issue with my Mac HD icon moving from the top right of the desktop to the bottom half of the desktop

I doubt this is an issue that an update will fix because this has been going on for years and years under different OS's.

This is an old post...

are you still talking about the same old OS 13.5. (?)

To be honest the Mac HD icon in the upper right is unnecessary in todays OS X/ macOS it is a throwback that really has no business on the contemporary Desktop.

I just make adjustment to find what works. There are some glitches but making changes and comparing your results. I seem to get what I am looking for...YMMV.

I would start with a whole lot less on the Desktop to gain some basic control.

my example for you— no issue:

macOS Somoma introduce more wrinkles to the equation..

Stage Manager

Desktop Widgets

Feb 25, 2024 2:38 AM in response to morozco

Thanks but I've never needed a Sort feature. I used to be able to place anything loose on the desktop where I wanted it and never had a problem. In the last few years there have been soo many annoying issues I am seriously beginning to wonder after 24 yrs with Apple and the amount of irritation their s/ware causes what I'm still doing using it.

Mac HD Icon on Desktop keeps Moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.