Disabling iCloud photos

I'm trying to better understand how iCloud works. So if you disable the iCloud photos, I know that it stops your photos from showing up on other devices but does it stop it from backing up your photos onto iCloud as well? When my kids take photos, I just don't want every photo they take showing up onto my iphone. However, I want to make sure that my photos are still being backed up on iCloud if I disable iCloud photos. Thanks

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 9:11 AM

If you disable iCloud Photos then Photos will not be synced to iCloud.

Since it is not syncing, when you take a backup of your iPhone all Photos are backed up on iCloud along with all other data from the device. Please note that there are no options to retrieve part or some of the Photos from this backup. You need to restore the entire iPhone to get the backup.

Hope you are aware of the restoring process which will wipe out everything on your device with that of the backup. 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 9:11 AM in response to grace2929ae

If you disable iCloud Photos then Photos will not be synced to iCloud.

Since it is not syncing, when you take a backup of your iPhone all Photos are backed up on iCloud along with all other data from the device. Please note that there are no options to retrieve part or some of the Photos from this backup. You need to restore the entire iPhone to get the backup.

Hope you are aware of the restoring process which will wipe out everything on your device with that of the backup. 

Disabling iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.