Question mark screen on startup

I have been trying to set my old MacBook up for my daughter to use. After following instructions on how to delete my information it now won’t start up. I have followed tutorials but disk utility doesn’t seem to be able to fix it. I can’t download Mac OS as it won’t show a file to download it to. I think I may have deleted the wrong thing! Is this fixable?

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 7:59 AM

You erased the operating system; not a problem. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Restart your MacBook and hold down Command+Option+R keys until you see the Apple logo. This will boot your MacBook into macOS Recovery.
  2. In macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility.
  3. In Disk Utility, select the startup disk and click on the Erase button.
  4. In the Erase window, select APFS as the format and click on the Erase button.
  5. Once the disk is erased, quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, you can also try to reinstall macOS from an external drive. Here are the steps:

1. Download the macOS installer from the App Store.
  2. Create an external bootable installer using the macOS installer.
  3. Restart your MacBook and hold down Option key until you see the bootable disk icon.
  4. Select the bootable disk icon and press Enter.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

If you are still unable to fix your MacBook, you can take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 7:59 AM in response to Lorajay

You erased the operating system; not a problem. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Restart your MacBook and hold down Command+Option+R keys until you see the Apple logo. This will boot your MacBook into macOS Recovery.
  2. In macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility.
  3. In Disk Utility, select the startup disk and click on the Erase button.
  4. In the Erase window, select APFS as the format and click on the Erase button.
  5. Once the disk is erased, quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, you can also try to reinstall macOS from an external drive. Here are the steps:

1. Download the macOS installer from the App Store.
  2. Create an external bootable installer using the macOS installer.
  3. Restart your MacBook and hold down Option key until you see the bootable disk icon.
  4. Select the bootable disk icon and press Enter.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

If you are still unable to fix your MacBook, you can take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

Question mark screen on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.