Activation lock

Hey everyone. I’m just wondering, If I reset my iPad in settings with my Apple ID, will the “Activation lock” show up if I’m gonna setup the iPad?

And if example, my sibling used the iPad with his Apple ID and he logged it out and give the iPad to me and signed in my Apple ID and reset it with my account, will the “activation lock” show up and requiring me to log in my sibling’s Apple ID and not mine? Thank you! (Sorry if my English is bad)

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 9:08 AM

1 reply

Sep 10, 2023 12:44 PM in response to NewtonTzn

Hey NewtonTzn,

Resetting or restoring the iPad to factory settings with not remove Activation Lock. The Apple ID and password used to set up Find My(Activation Lock) on the device is needed to remove it. Make sure your sibling has removed the iPad from their Apple ID by having them follow the steps in this article: How to remove Activation Lock.

Once the iPad has been removed from their account, you should be able to enable Find My using your Apple ID. If your sibling's information is still on the device, you can use Erase All Content and Settings to delete it, and set up using your Apple ID. For more details click here: How to factory reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Take care.

Activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.