Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

My battery health metric is shockingly low

200 mAh battery?

My battery life has been terrible since I got it. But I looked on my battery stats today (through analytics data) and found that the capacity when my phone was new was 217 mAh and the battery now is 200 mAh. Not 2000 and 2170, 217 and 200. 1/10th of the battery health also means I get 1.5 hrs of video playback and ~3.5 hrs of audio playback, max.

i don’t think I’d be eligible for a free replacement though, since my battery is at “92.17%”.

it’s worth noting that I have had more than 115 cycles in the 9 months I’ve had my phone.

help?

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 1:13 PM

First of all you're using a 3rd party battery check app and they are not often accurate. Second, you can expect to lose about 1% in battery health per month of ownership. If you've had your iPhone for 9 months, and your battery health is 92%, that's not shockingly low. It's actually normal. When your battery health dips to 80% or less, it will then be time to pay Apple to replace the battery in your iPhone. And Apple only covers warranty on iPhone batteries if they dip to 80% or less in the first 12 months of ownership. You're quite far from that, so Apple won't consider you have an issue at all. And you don't have an issue.

I am curious to know what the iPhone actually shows when you go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health?

You have to understand that batteries are consumable parts. And with every full cycle battery charge, the health of the battery will decline. It's what batteries do. ALL BATTERIES.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 1:13 PM in response to Nickit_0

First of all you're using a 3rd party battery check app and they are not often accurate. Second, you can expect to lose about 1% in battery health per month of ownership. If you've had your iPhone for 9 months, and your battery health is 92%, that's not shockingly low. It's actually normal. When your battery health dips to 80% or less, it will then be time to pay Apple to replace the battery in your iPhone. And Apple only covers warranty on iPhone batteries if they dip to 80% or less in the first 12 months of ownership. You're quite far from that, so Apple won't consider you have an issue at all. And you don't have an issue.

I am curious to know what the iPhone actually shows when you go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health?

You have to understand that batteries are consumable parts. And with every full cycle battery charge, the health of the battery will decline. It's what batteries do. ALL BATTERIES.

Sep 9, 2023 7:35 PM in response to Nickit_0

Contact Apple if you feel you have an issue with the battery in your iPhone. You are speaking only with other users on this user to user forum. But don't be surprised when Apple tells you what we're telling you and that is your battery health is not an issue after 9 months of owning your phone. And your battery health is going to continue to decline, which is something you can't stop.

Here is a link you can use to schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar to have Apple look at and test your iPhone --> Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 9, 2023 7:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

Settings > Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data > Analytics-2023-09-08 > Share button in top right corner > Battery Stats

I'm not sure if Settings counts as a "third-party app" but I certainly do have a problem. Sorry to sound rude, though. I'm just frustrated that my battery capacity is at 90% of when it was new but the capacity when it was new was 10% of the 2018 mAh on Apple's website for iPhone SE (2022). It says 200 mAh, which is enough for maybe 2-3 hours of phone usage, max.

Go into Analytics in Settings and see your health metrics. In Battery Health & Charging, my "Maximum Capacity" is 95%.

Again, I'm sorry if this comes off as rude or antagonistic.

May 4, 2024 9:08 PM in response to Nickit_0

Unfortunately, Apple will only replace your battery within 1 year if your battery health goes below 80%.

The analytics you've grabbed is straight from apple.. so this is not the case of you grabbing the incorrect data. The shortcut battery stats just grabs the data that you need to see how your battery is degrading over time.

With that said.. I believe what some people failed to see in your post is that you've only re-charged your battery 115 times over a 9 month period. You are seeing basically around a !% decrease in battery health with regards to a low usage iphone user.

So, based on your current usage.. the battery may fail around the 2 year mark and need replacement? I personally don't think that is acceptable.

On my iphone XR after 1.5years of usage my battery health was at around 89%.

My wifes iphone X after 2 years was about 87%.

On those iphones the charge cycle count was at a similar rate to yours.

It makes me suspect that todays batteries have some anomoly.. possibly:

1. Batteries that are not as durable after charge cycles
  2. Fast charging or Wireless Charging is causing increased degradation of battery health
  3. Newer OS's and possibly issues in software are causing increased poor battery health degradation.

As long as people accept the fact that 1% battery health loss is the new norm, then I don't think the poor battery duration over time will ever be addressed.

My wife has an iphone 13 pro with 100% battery health.. I'm going to track how it degrades per month to see if my battery history is similar to yours. Good luck

I have owned both an iphone XR and iphone X

My battery health metric is shockingly low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.