Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Can I restore an iOS backup onto an iPhone running an older version of iOS?

Hello everyone,

I've encountered an issue with my iPhone 14 Pro Max (frequent lags while scrolling) and have decided to return it, as I purchased it just a week ago. In the meantime, since I'm considering getting the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro Max I'd like to use my old iPhone 7, which I still have. However, I've realized that the iPhone 7 is running iOS 15, while my 14PM backup was made on iOS 16. I'm aware that there might be issues if I try to restore the backup onto a device with an older iOS version. Does anyone know how I can transfer my data to my iPhone 7 without causing any problems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 3:43 PM

You are not going to be able to restore a backup created with iOS 16 on an iPhone that has iOS 15. As you already know, you cannot update your iPhone 7 to iOS 16. If you do not have a backup created with iOS 15 or a lower version, then you will not be able to restore it.

Axel F.

1 reply

Can I restore an iOS backup onto an iPhone running an older version of iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.