Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

17.2 Backup is not compatible with new iPhone 14

Hi, I just received a new iPhone 14 and I am trying to use a back up to restore my new phone. When I try to transfer the data it will not let me because the iPhone 11 is operating on 17.2 and the new iPhone 14 is operating on 16.8. How can move my back up to the new phone?

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 5:31 PM

You will need to set up the new phone temporarily without using the backup and update the new phone to iOS 17.0.3

Then, erase the phone....details below......and set it up again, so you will be able to transfer data from your backup to the new phone.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content and Settings

More details here if needed.......Restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that needs a newer version of iOS or iPadOS - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 5:31 PM in response to Pheywood

You will need to set up the new phone temporarily without using the backup and update the new phone to iOS 17.0.3

Then, erase the phone....details below......and set it up again, so you will be able to transfer data from your backup to the new phone.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content and Settings

More details here if needed.......Restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that needs a newer version of iOS or iPadOS - Apple Support

17.2 Backup is not compatible with new iPhone 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.