Lost IPhone

I have lost my IPhone and it is with out SIM card because i was using it for taking pics. I am able to see the location of the phone but Mark as Lost and Erase options are still pending. How would it get connect to a wifi or enable mobile data without logging in the phone. How would i know if they want to return phone. It is not safe here to go to the location of the phone.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 8:36 PM

renjithramachand Said:

"Lost IPhone: It has passcode. They will not be able to access my data or use my phone unless they use unlock it with some software. My question was how would it connect to internet to erase data and show my details on the phone. Just inserting Sim enables data or taking the phone to an open network? I don’t see any other chance. The location is Mexico Guadalajara"

-------

Disable the Phone Number:

Then, they will not gain access to it. I would recommend that you disable your phone number to this iPhone, if you think you will never get it back. The SIM card will not work.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 8:36 PM in response to renjithramachand

renjithramachand Said:

"Lost IPhone: It has passcode. They will not be able to access my data or use my phone unless they use unlock it with some software. My question was how would it connect to internet to erase data and show my details on the phone. Just inserting Sim enables data or taking the phone to an open network? I don’t see any other chance. The location is Mexico Guadalajara"

-------

Disable the Phone Number:

Then, they will not gain access to it. I would recommend that you disable your phone number to this iPhone, if you think you will never get it back. The SIM card will not work.

Sep 9, 2023 7:56 PM in response to renjithramachand

renjithramachand Said:

"Lost IPhone: I have lost my IPhone and it is with out SIM card because i was using it for taking pics. I am able to see the location of the phone but Mark as Lost and Erase options are still pending. How would it get connect to a wifi or enable mobile data without logging in the phone. How would i know if they want to return phone. It is not safe here to go to the location of the phone."

-------

"Pending" Lock and Erase:

It reads "pending", because once it is connected to the Internet, it will then lock. It will not connect, unless they get access to it being connected to the Internet. Did you have a passcode on this? If so, then it may have been locked, and they will not be able to get in to it and unlock it, without a proof of ownership and Genuine Photo ID. So, if you did not have a passcode on this, then this is of big worries here. So, just wait and see if "pending" goes away.

Troubleshooting Lost iPhone:

Locating a Lost iPhone:

I. Use Find My: Use the Find My App to Locate a Missing Device or Item - Apple Support

If Find My was enabled with this, then you may be able to find it. Only the last location your iPhone was seen at would show up.

II. If Find My is Not an Option...

A. Backtrack your Locations:

Do it the olde fashioned way and backtrack your locations. For instance, if you were at a retail store, then stop in, asking the store manger if it was placed aside.

B. Lost-&-Found:

Check with the Lost & Found department of the facility you were in, seeing if it has been handed over.

C. Contact Local Authorities:

See if the community police, or local security guards at the front door, can across it.

D. Use Craigslist:

Put a post on Craigslist, seeing if they have been found.

E. Go Here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is Lost or Stolen - Apple Support

Sep 9, 2023 8:22 PM in response to TheLittles

It has passcode. They will not be able to access my data or use my phone unless they use unlock it with some software. My question was how would it connect to internet to erase data and show my details on the phone. Just inserting Sim enables data or taking the phone to an open network? I don’t see any other chance. The location is Mexico Guadalajara

Lost IPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.