Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering lost iPhone with NO carrier and protected by passcode

I lost my company-issued iphone yesterday in a business parking lot. I have used "Find My iPhone" before to locate it, but in this case there are the following issues:

The phone is passcode protected. This means that if someone does find it, they won't be able to unlock it.

The phone has no service provider. I used it for software testing. This means the phone depends on wifi for all things internet, including location services. Thus, all of my attempts to play a sound or mark it as lost are forever in a "Pending" state, what with no way to communicate with the device.

Someone probably found it. Meaning they can't unlock it. They will probably bring it in range of a wifi network, but how can they connect the phone to it without unlocking it?

If an iphone has no service provider and no saved local wifi information, can a user still connect to a new wifi network from the Home screen?

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 11:58 AM

An iPhone 12 or newer can be located using the FindMy network even if it has no cellular or WiFi connection provided findmy was enabled on the device and someone with an iphone participating in the findmy network comes near enough for it to report a location.

2 replies

Recovering lost iPhone with NO carrier and protected by passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.