Problems connecting to BTinternet mail

I have been a Mac user (MacBook Air) for many years and have several email addresses which all feed into my mail account. Two days ago I stopped getting emails delivered from to my BT email address. I tried to reset the account by adding the password but that is rejected. I can log on to my BTemail account on the internet so there are emails and my password is correct. I am not getting the BT emails on my iPhone either. I am getting emails from gmail.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:45 AM

7 replies

Dec 27, 2023 6:46 AM in response to Caraflanagan

Don't bother deleting accounts etc. You just need to get rid of the yahoo setting that Apple default to. My MacBook Pro came up with the same error message so what you need to is go to settings and replace the incoming and outgoing server details from: STMP.mail.yahoo.com and IMAP.mail.yahoo.com to mail.btinternet.com for both the incoming and outgoing servers. Should work fine after that.

Sep 10, 2023 7:06 AM in response to ku4hx

I deleted the account on Mail and tried to re-set it up but the password is not identified. Aside deleting the account is there something else that has to be deleted.

I also can't get BT emails on my iPhone. They stopped being working on Wednesday. It may be a BT issue but I am on holiday and can't ring them, and I suspect they will just tell me it is an Apple problem.

May 14, 2024 7:37 AM in response to Caraflanagan

I can confirm that this is also happening for me: I am providing support for a friend. The same user name and password works logging in to BT webmail. However, trying to create an account in Mac Mail or Outlook fails- on iphone, on ipad, on Mac, on three different networks and behind a VPN. This stopped working about a month ago. It has been working flawlessly for many years.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/updates

I have tried this on MacOS Sonoma and iOS16 iOS17 and iPadOS17.

This seems to point to an issue that is NOT linked to personal credentials. Maybe something behindn the scenes with certificates or keys? I do remember something happening many moons ago trying to create a Gmail account in Mac Mail, which was subsequently resolved.

Problems connecting to BTinternet mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.