You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible to export notes and highlights from Apple Books?

It's impossible on a Mac to export notes and highlights from Apple Books? I saw this user post from Dec 2020: "Exporting Apple Books Notes and Highlights." That solution doesn't work. I don't have a "share" button.

I'm just stunned that I read this entire book, highlight and taking notes all the way, and just assumed I could print out my notes. OS is Big Sur.

Windows

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 6:25 AM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2024 1:03 PM in response to FrustratedToo2

Perhaps a bit technical, but on my macOS Sonoma, I have the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iBooksX/Data/Documents/AEAnnotation/AEAnnotation_v10312011_1727_local.sqlite database that holds a ZAEANNOTATION will all the annotations. You can browse it from the command-line like

sqlite3 "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iBooksX/Data/Documents/AEAnnotation/AEAnnotation_v10312011_1727_local.sqlite"

Sep 10, 2023 7:22 AM in response to muguy

1. n the Books app  on your Mac, click All (or another collection) in the sidebar, then click a book or audiobook.
  2. Click , then choose Mail, Messages, or another app or service.

Where is "All"? There is no sidebar. I can see my personal highlights and notes on the screen but I can't do anything with them.

2) Doesn't make sense either. When I look at the page with all my ebooks, the three dots under the book don't have any useful choices--like exporting my notes or highlights (messages, reminders ... not "mail")

Thanks for your quick response. been screen shotting every page of notes but there are too many.

Impossible to export notes and highlights from Apple Books?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.