Problems with monitor DELL S2722QC on a macbook pro (intel i7)13''

When I connect the Dell S2272QC to a macbook pro intel withs intel Core i7 with Intel Iris plus graphics I can't get the image to fill the entire screen.

I have tried all the settings in System Preferences but there is no way. When I boot up and with the monitor connected (laptop closed) it fills the whole screen but as soon as I open the laptop the image is reduced and no longer fills the screen.

Any idea how to solve this and be able to use the whole screen?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 6:35 AM

I have finally managed to use the entire monitor screen. A colleague pointed me in the direction of a possible solution.

The problem is the "underscan", in this link I found the clue to solve it: https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan/

The file "/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics" showed an underscan setting that didn't fill the screen. Instead of editing it (I thought there was a lot of rubbish) I moved it to the desktop and restarted the MacBook. On startup a new version of the file was created but this time with the correct underscan settings.

NOTE: I appreciate the comments from @Grant Bennet-Alder and @johnb-one.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 6:35 AM in response to xblasco

I have finally managed to use the entire monitor screen. A colleague pointed me in the direction of a possible solution.

The problem is the "underscan", in this link I found the clue to solve it: https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan/

The file "/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics" showed an underscan setting that didn't fill the screen. Instead of editing it (I thought there was a lot of rubbish) I moved it to the desktop and restarted the MacBook. On startup a new version of the file was created but this time with the correct underscan settings.

NOTE: I appreciate the comments from @Grant Bennet-Alder and @johnb-one.

Sep 15, 2023 12:25 PM in response to xblasco

I do tend to agree with you, xblasco, here's the specs and the year for your model of MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Technical Specifications (CA)

so it'll do at the most 2 displays, 4k, output (2 thunderbolt 3 ports-USB-C with native support for DisplayPort--, HDMI, DVI and VGA with adapters) scaled resolution 1680x1050, 1440x900, or 1024 by 640.... (I'm assuming that last part has to do with the built in display) and not necessarily what it's outputting for video...Thunderbolt up to 40 GB/sec...Dell isn't known for being really Mac-friendly, especially when it comes to monitors (*and printers) and they don't support Macs as a general rule, if you talk to Dell, they'll tell you, as a general rule....we don't support using a Dell monitor with a Mac....if it works mostly, it works, if not, then not.. If you talk to Apple, Apple will say, Dell monitors don't have official support on Macs, eg the driver isn't built into the Mac OS as such, there is no specific driver for Dell monitors alone, and if you search the Dell Website for Mac monitor software/drivers for their monitors you will find nothing, as it's all for Windows...There might be two possible solutions: 1--invest in an eGPU, your MacBook does support them...this link from Dell might be helpful, but it's for a newer model of MacBook Pro, and yours is from 2017....https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000201067/dell-display-and-peripheral-manager-for-macos and this link:https://github.com/mbruggmann/osx-edid-overrides and this:FIX for Dell U3011 displaying YPbPr inste… - Apple Community...last ditch "Hail Mary" suggestion: SwitchResX, for which you have to pay ??

John b

Sep 10, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

when you uncheck that box, both displays can be se to different resolutions:

Each display is represented as a separate blue box, but part of a larger "Extended Desktop". The mouse moves freely across the divide between virtual displays and can carry a window with it, or stop half way and it all works "the right way"

NB>> Post back if that does not completely solve your problems, there are many more pitfalls beyond this one.

Sep 11, 2023 6:49 AM in response to xblasco

in some cases, the cables "shipped in the box" are lowest-bidder cables, and are only good enough to keep a large number of buyers from returning the product.

The cable you need for this application is a certified cable with the USB-C SuperSpeed+ logo at each end, limited to one meter or less. That would come in a box that says, at a a minimum USB-C 3.1 10 G bits/sec capable.

Sep 10, 2023 11:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have not explained well, my problem is that whatever resolution I select (mirror display or not) the image does not fill the entire screen. I can only get it to fill the whole screen if I reboot and enter the password and close the laptop. But in that case it doesn't last long, when I put the computer to sleep, when it wakes up, it doesn't occupy the whole screen again. I think that if it can fill the screen at any given time, there should be a configuration that maintains this behaviour. 

Sep 11, 2023 8:08 AM in response to xblasco

It should say SuperSpeed + or SuperSpeed ++. The speed difference between USB 3.1 and USB 3.2 is that software 'turns around' the incoming data pathways and momentarily uses all data pathways for outbound data.

The difference between 'Certified and genuine with USB logo' and 'none' is whether it actually works at the high end, which is where you are pushing it when you try to run a 4K display.

Sep 15, 2023 11:12 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

USB cable is under 1 m.

I don't know if the HDMI cable is certified.

I tested my macbook with another display (philips 4K 32'') and it works. I also tested my usb cable in this monitor and it works.

When I check the system report (with my dell display connected) I get contradictory information. Sometimes it recognises it as a 5K display and sometimes as a 4K display. I attach this information (with the laptop open and closed).

Laptop open:

Intel Iris Plus Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Plus Graphics

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x8a53

Revision ID: 0x0007

Metal Support: Metal 3

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Connection Type: Internal

DELL S2722QC:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz

Display Serial Number: HM65MD3     

Main Display: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

Laptop closed:

Intel Iris Plus Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Plus Graphics

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x8a53

Revision ID: 0x0007

Metal Support: Metal 3

Displays:

DELL S2722QC:

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Display Serial Number: HM65MD3     

Main Display: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

My MacBook Pro:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,2

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 1968.140.7.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.6072.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 577.140.2~15

Serial Number (system): C02D52XMML85

Hardware UUID: A0BA96D7-D3A2-537B-A280-0E04B7336D0C

Provisioning UDID: A0BA96D7-D3A2-537B-A280-0E04B7336D0C

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Problems with monitor DELL S2722QC on a macbook pro (intel i7)13''

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.