iMac Mid 2011 OS - High Sierra won't allow me to open certain links/attachments. OK on all other devices.

I cannot open an attachment from paperlesspost on my iMac. Also, I cannot open a link I was sent to e-sign a document. Other similar examples where i just see a spinning circle after entering correct username and PW credentials.

I ONLY have this problem on the iMac. Everything works as it should on my MacBook pro, iPhone and iPad. It doesn't matter what browser I use... the problem remains.

So confused as to why this is happening. Please assist if you can. Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 12:21 PM

Yes, High Sierra is the latest MacOS your iMac can run, and I suspect this is the primary culprit. Safari can't be updated for it, as it's part of MacOS. I don't know if Chrome and/or Firefox are available for it or not.

Apple has listed your iMac as "Obsolete", which means they will no longer provide any updates for it. (In Apple's defense, though, your iMac IS at least 12 years old!).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 12:21 PM in response to mgdad

Yes, High Sierra is the latest MacOS your iMac can run, and I suspect this is the primary culprit. Safari can't be updated for it, as it's part of MacOS. I don't know if Chrome and/or Firefox are available for it or not.

Apple has listed your iMac as "Obsolete", which means they will no longer provide any updates for it. (In Apple's defense, though, your iMac IS at least 12 years old!).

Sep 10, 2023 10:21 AM in response to mgdad

Tjis is likely because you have an older version of Safari installed in your computer. When the computer's operating system is updated or upgraded, Safari is updated as well. I suggest you install another app to install such as Firefox and it likely will work. Incidentally, updating Safari does not always solve the problem.

Sep 10, 2023 12:14 PM in response to Ronasara

Can you please confirm my thinking .... The most current OS available to update for this iMac is High Sierra (v 10.13.6) and that is the main culprit. Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers no longer support this OS and this is likely the reason why I am having the problems on this device only.

Is it possible that Apple might release a newer operating system for this iMac that would then allow more current browser versions, Or, am I in the position of having to upgrade hardware?

Thanks.

iMac Mid 2011 OS - High Sierra won't allow me to open certain links/attachments. OK on all other devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.