Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

how much ram can a 21.5-inch Late 2012 imac take

I've already upgraded my HDD to SSD and it has really made a difference in speed.

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM before I finally seal it myself. So far I've heard the most RAM it can take is 32G?

Please confirm?

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 7:20 PM

It's very easy to determine if your Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 7:20 PM in response to 21-5-inch-Late2012iMac

It's very easy to determine if your Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

Sep 10, 2023 3:35 PM in response to 21-5-inch-Late2012iMac

Why do you think you need more RAM? I have 16 GB RAM in a 2017 27 " i7 iMac and the only time I've had memory problems is when I tried to perform blur and smudge edits on 500 MB image file in Photoshop Elements.

Additional RAM would have let the blur edit go faster but it won't speed up boot time, app or file opening time. Those you've already taken care of with the SSD.

You'r model iMac is considered obsolete by Apple and anything you put into it will be worth more than its value. I would not up the RAM to 32 G and start saving up for a new Mac.

Also be aware that your model iMac can run Catalina if you're not already doing so. But if you're not on Catalina 32 bit apps will not run on Catalina. You'll need to get 64 bit updates to those apps or alternatives. The free app GO64 will tell you which of your apps will run or not.

Sep 11, 2023 5:31 AM in response to 21-5-inch-Late2012iMac

21-5-inch-Late2012iMac wrote:

So far I've heard the most RAM it can take is 32G?

MacTracker says that the maximum is 16 GB.

Other World Computing does not have any kits larger than 16 GB, or individual sticks larger than 8 GB.

Crucial does not have your system in their system at all.

Since none of these three sources indicate that this model can take more than the official limit of 16 GB, I don't think it can take more than 16 GB. Apple sometimes runs an additional address line without advertising it (the reason why some Macs can take 2x the official maximum), but they don't always do so.

how much ram can a 21.5-inch Late 2012 imac take

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.