Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Can I migrate to an older iPhone

A friend of mine has just acquired an iPhone 5s and wants to restore a backup from an iPhone 11 (phone no longer usable). She is getting a message saying the iOS on the iPhone 5s needs to be upgraded to enable to transfer, but the 5s is already on the max supported iOS.

Is there any way to migrate from a new phone to an old phone where the old phone is on an earlier version of iOS?

If not, is there any way she can use the iPhone 5s?

Many thanks,

Eddie.

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 2:08 AM

eddied112 wrote:

A friend of mine....
1) Is there any way to migrate from a new phone to an old phone where the old phone is on an earlier version of iOS?
2) If not, is there any way she can use the iPhone 5s?...

1) Sorry no, Eddie.

2) Well, if the device is working fine, she can use it (with limits of the max iOS version 12.5.7), but she cannot migrate any data from the 11 model.

Regards

Giulio

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 2:08 AM in response to eddied112

eddied112 wrote:

A friend of mine....
1) Is there any way to migrate from a new phone to an old phone where the old phone is on an earlier version of iOS?
2) If not, is there any way she can use the iPhone 5s?...

1) Sorry no, Eddie.

2) Well, if the device is working fine, she can use it (with limits of the max iOS version 12.5.7), but she cannot migrate any data from the 11 model.

Regards

Giulio

Can I migrate to an older iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.