Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Top-bottom split screen feature on iPad

I'm currently using an iPad 9th generation for my study needs. Often, I find myself needing to keep both a PDF reader app and a note-taking app open simultaneously. As my iPad's screen size is limited to 10.2 inches, the existing side-by-side split view feature in landscape mode isn't effective for this purpose.

It would be highly beneficial if the option to split the view from top-bottom in portrait mode were available. Some Android tablets already offer this feature, and it surprises me that it's not yet available on the iPad.

Is there any effective workaround to achieve this feature?

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 3:07 AM

As you may be aware, iPadOS does support a side-by-side split-screen in Landscape view - it does not support a top/bottom split-screen when used in Portrait. There are no workarounds.

Apple does invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

If you would like to see additional features in a future version of iPadOS, this would be the most appropriate channel though which to direct your request.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 3:07 AM in response to rafisics

As you may be aware, iPadOS does support a side-by-side split-screen in Landscape view - it does not support a top/bottom split-screen when used in Portrait. There are no workarounds.

Apple does invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

If you would like to see additional features in a future version of iPadOS, this would be the most appropriate channel though which to direct your request.

Apr 26, 2024 1:20 PM in response to rafisics

At least a clear answer! I need a tablet that supports top/bottom split view in portrait mode for learning piano (score on the top, video on the bottom) and I have been wandering whether the 12,9 inches iPad pro or the upcoming 12,9 inches iPad Air do support this feature. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra does support top/bottom split view in portrait mode and I was hoping that the iPad would do the same as I prefer the iPad form factor. Too bad, one more silly iPad OS limitation. The iPads come with a great hardware and a deficient operating system. By, by Apple, I'm going back to Android...

Apr 26, 2024 10:56 PM in response to nbpf

You can adjust the window sizes with this feature so you can keep them from covering each other. It's advanced a lot more in iOS 17 from iOS 16 and allows for greater size adjustments. Trying this out on my iPad I can see that it does slightly cover the bottom of the top window or the top of the bottom window. Just a slight amount, but I have not been able to pull them apart far enough to keep them from covering each other. I have noticed that when the windows are stretched out to fit the screen to the sides it does "stretch" the stuff out a bit and give a little odd shape to the stuff in the window, but doesn't really distort anything.

Apr 26, 2024 10:29 PM in response to PhysicsRanga

Well temporarily u can use the stage manager feature an manually arrange one window over the other. i hope apple adds that as a feature

But does this mean that the window on the top will partially hide the window below?

I have an old iPad mini and cannot check how stage manager works directly. I am mildly annoyed by iOS on my iPhone 13 pro (no easy way to set a shortcut to a given folder in the home screen, the shortcuts app is a joke and much more) and I would like to avoid spending 2k on a tablet only to find out that it doesn't work as one would expect...

Thanks,

nbpf

Top-bottom split screen feature on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.